What Did they Sell Me?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I planted these about a month ago and I remember what they are suppose to be, according to the seed package, but they're not looking like what I expected at this point (I've grown these plenty times before).

What does it look like to you? I will post the name of what it's suppose to be, later...

BTW, the height is anywhere between 6 - 10 inches (15 - 25 cm)

001.JPG
006.JPG
005.JPG
002.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Lori: I think the buds do look like lilies, but the leaves not so.

Leaves remind me of euphorbia. Please wear gloves and twist the stem to see if there is milky substance oozing out!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
not daylily's they have much longer leaves. If I was a betting man I'd go Linaria there are many varieties. I have them in my garden and they come up every year. I Have had a look through a few of my Garden Pictures & Found a shot with a couple of Types In flower.....Spot the Yellow & the Purple flowers are Linaria Valgaris & Purpurea
P1030371.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Here is some old and some new Linaria maroccana - Dwarf Toadflax. The way the leaves are laid out looks much different to me except for the new one. Below that is some Alstroemeria - Peruvian Lilly. On mine it has two opposing leaves then a single. Has somewhat similar look, but I can't make out the pattern of leaves on the stem in your pictures. The Linaria maroccana is only about 1.5' +/- and the Alstroemeria is 3.5' +/-. I'm leaning towards lily. Sorry not a good day for pictures, but it's raining (y)

IMG_1212.JPG

IMG_1213.JPG

IMG_1214.JPG

IMG_1215.JPG

IMG_1218.JPG

IMG_1219.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Well @roadrunner what is it and what did you originally order?

Cough it up now or do I need to employ Paul Drake to find out? :)
Well, I don't know what it is, but I don't think it's what I planted there....

It's suppose to be Alyssum (Carpet of Snow variety). I've planted this before and I have some growing in other parts of my yard and there is some similarity, but then again there's some similarity with other plants listed in this thread:confused:

Further Information: Each stem is a single plant to itself and has no offshoots. With Alyssum they quickly start bunching up and become a tangled mess, but these plants are still growing straight up and not getting all tangled together.

Every time I've planted Alyssum, including this last time, I've always planted the same cheap variety, which I got from the dollar store (American Seed Co) and all the package reads WRT the variety is: Carpet of Snow.

As I said, there is some similarity in this plant and the other Alyssum I have growing in other parts of my yard; however, it seems like the stem is thicker and there are far more leaves, which are also slightly bigger on these mystery plants.

I planted them about two months ago, so hopefully they will be flowering soon and I will post pics.

As for the other Alyssum plants I have, those were not planted at the same time, they were planted over a year ago, maybe longer, and just keep reseeding.

Ask a Question