What could be wrong with my recently planted avocado?

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Hi,

I planted my first ever avocado tree in soil 3 days ago, but from then on it looks quite unhealthy.
I've watered it little after I planted it.
As the leaves fell down I watered it a bit more on the next day, but no results were observed.
Now I see that the edges of the leaves are turning brown/black and it can't find out what could cause that.
I've put my finger into the soil (3-4 cm) and it doesn't feel wet.
So far it was on a sunny south window where the seed was so far, but today I moved it to one of the tables which is close to the window, but with not so much direct light.

I don't know how to help.

Attachments

• IMG_20200410_175830_1.jpg
    IMG_20200410_175830_1.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20200410_175854.jpg
    IMG_20200410_175854.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20200410_175842.jpg
    IMG_20200410_175842.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 123
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi,

I planted my first ever avocado tree in soil 3 days ago, but from then on it looks quite unhealthy.
I've watered it little after I planted it.
As the leaves fell down I watered it a bit more on the next day, but no results were observed.
Now I see that the edges of the leaves are turning brown/black and it can't find out what could cause that.
I've put my finger into the soil (3-4 cm) and it doesn't feel wet.
So far it was on a sunny south window where the seed was so far, but today I moved it to one of the tables which is close to the window, but with not so much direct light.

I don't know how to help.
It looks from the "soil" that it wasn't watered at all. When you water you do not water a "bit" or a "little". You water completely and thoroughly and then let it get dry for two or three inches deep before watering again. Water from the bottom up until water stands on the surface and then remove the pot from the water. You can do this in a bucket or the sink or the bathtub. Water this way until the tree is well established or the pot is too heavy to move. They need as much sun as possible.

You grew this seeding in water. Water roots and soil roots are different. There will be a period of time until the soil roots take over and during this time different things will happen such a wilting but with a proper watering technique, there will be no browning of the leaf tips and margins. Browning or blackening means either too much water or too little water and I can guarantee that from the pictures it isn't too much water.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Трябва да поливате повече и да оставите почвата да изсъхне добре между поливането.

Ask a Question