170.2 KB · Views: 103

Twigs

Nature Hobbyist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone8
Country
United States
I’d say the first one, your Dixie Iris looks blue with the yellow and a touch of soft purple on the center pedals.
Your Bearded is more on the spectrum of being purple to me.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Both the quality of lighting and contrast with adjacent colours can greatly affect our perception of colour. When in doubt , compare the colour with an actual physical colour chart or colour wheel.

Having said that, I will say that the majority of tones in the first Iris would be accurately described as blue-violet, while those of the second iris would be considered violet. The term 'Purple' is generally considered a synonym of for red-violet.

In horticulture, the term 'blue' is vastly overused to describe floral colour, the majority of which are actually to some degree violet. However, there are many 'true' blue flowers too, and even a rare few that can be accurately described as blue-green, turquoise, or teal.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Indigo is sometimes recognized as a distinct band on the spectrum, between blue and violet. It usually now considered as a synonym of blue-violet.

Ask a Question