What can I plant in an unheated greenhouse?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
United Kingdom
My green house is in SW Pembrokeshire in the UK and is in a sheltered and sunny spot. There are still some sweet peppers growing in there, but I've taken the tomatoes out, along with the 'volunteer' squash they grew in there all by itself this year. This weekend I'll clean the glass and line it with bubble wrap.

I've now planted in paper pots sweet pea seeds and a handful of broad beans, though my experience of winter planting beans hasn't been too brilliant - the spring planted ones seem to grow faster and only come a week or so later.

Has anyone suggestions for other edible crops I can plant to make use of the greenhouse over the winter please? I hadn't planned to heat it, but I could do so if those of you wiser in gardening terms think I could grow something worth the heating costs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It depends on how cold the weather is going to get and how much light will come in to your greenhouse and for how many hours. Cold weather crops like brassicas are probably best, though there are inexpensive ways to heat the greenhouse depending on its size. You might also try peas or carrots, but again it depends on your temperature.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks ChanellG. I have some Autumn King carrot seed which I planted at the end of August in the allotment and they're growing well. Nice sturdy looking little plants. Maybe I'll try some of those.

I like your Audrey Hepburn quote by the way! : -)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks ChanellG. I have some Autumn King carrot seed... Maybe I'll try some of those.

I like your Audrey Hepburn quote by the way! : -)

You're welcome! I'm surprised our @zigs hasn't chimed in here as he's on your side of the pond. @Becky, any thoughts?

I love Audrey - she was a real class act.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, been having probs.

Currently got Mizuna, Land Cress, Lambs Lettuce and Leaf Beet in mine for the winter :) Oh and some spring onions :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I have winter onions, 2nd crop potatoes, little gem lettuce and beetroot in my polytunnel, I'm still to plant pak choi and early cabbage, broccoli and cauliflowers.
They'll be ready to go in, in the next week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you so much for these eminently helpful suggestions. I shall take your advice. And Pak Choi - I hadn't thought of that - yummy : -)

Ask a Question