What berries do you have in your garden?

Reaction score
Country
Norway
I am wondering, it seems like there are so many different views on this topic.
Some only go with bushes like raspberry and currant , others go for strawberries only and then you have those that have a whole variety.
Some use them for decorating, other to get a specific look and then you have those who only go for the produce and yield.
I might have grown up believing that everybody should have enough fruit and berries in their garden to get bot jam, juice, lemonade, wine and hard liquor from their berries and fruits. Maybe that was true back in the days when you could not just pop over to the store and get some, and fresh fruits and berries all year long.

So I am curious what kind do you have and why?

Reaction score
Hi! Hvordan har du det? =D Sorry, my Norwegian is a bit rusty :p Where in Norway are you located? I'm guessing the south? If so, then I can understand your view on berries ;) It used to be a hobby of my cousin to go pick berries :) I'd like to have my own berry bush, but not sure I can make it happen here.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
We do not have any berries in the garden. I have tried strawberries without much success. Something ate the fruit everytime they tried to bloom.

Reaction score
Country
Norway
Well my family in North Dakota have a lot of berries too. The Wisconsinites have more fruits, but they have blueberries in their garden.
Different kinds of variety thrives in different soil and climate, and cultivated berries are found throughout the world.
Though I haven't seen a lot of strawberries in China, I have found some in Malaysia, but they tend to have more citrus and mango.

Pat,, did you cover the soil between the plants with anything? Maybe you should try a hanging garden for your strawberries next, or plant in pots ?

Reaction score
Although I grow a wide variety of different fruits to ensure that I have a year round supply of fresh fruit - the only berry fruits I grow are strawberries of which I grow both the red and yellow varieties :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Blackcurrants, Gooseberries, cultivated and alpine strawberries :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
We have strawberries, raspberries, chokeberries, jostaberries, blackberries and blueberries. Also there are Red, white and black currants. Keeps us going all winter. There are gooseberries in the hedgerow down the lane which we use for chutney.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
we have an assortment of strawberries and they are everbearing. We also have three blueberry bushes, but they seem to be struggling, will likely move them to a new spot this spring in hopes of them doing better,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have an abundance of blackberries on the hillside behind my house. I have not had a chance to really go looking, but I bet there are some wild strawberries back there as well. I am going to explore more of the backwoods this spring when it warms up a bit.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm just starting a new garden, we moved 2 years ago. So far, just strawberries and blueberries. The strawberries are doing well, we planted them last spring, and actually got quite of few berries last summer. They've spread out, and we're hoping to get a good crop this year.

The blueberries on the other hand, aren't doing nearly as well. Again, we planted them last spring, and while the bushes didn't die, they really didn't do very well - they haven't filled out or grown any. I may have to look for somewhere else to plant them since they don't seem to like where they're at now.

I'd love to put in some raspberries and blackberries.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I had a big raspberry bush. Raspberries are heavenly yummy!
Now, I don't have a garden, but I plan to try growing blueberries indoors:D:love:

Reaction score
Country
United States
My Husband and I like to grow strawberries we also were lucky enough to move into a house that already had blueberries and blackberries. Score! :)

We have a little trouble with the blueberries though, they do not seem to like us very much. They seem to be "Berry Finicky."

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Blueberries do like a very moist soil, with absolutely no lime in it. We give ours a feed of Chelated iron every year to help with the lime problem. We also mulch very heavily with peat to keep the moisture in. The bushes are in a protective 'cage' as we find that the magpies will eat berries before they are ripe, indeed when they are still white.

Reaction score
I was never very good with strawberries: they are too small and helpless. I do HAVE a few, and I will enjoy them every spring until they die on me! Sooner or later we will have either a very wet year or a very hot year, and I will lose them.

I have had blackberries for years. I cut them back every winter to about knee high, and I mow around them to keep them from taking over my yard. When they are growing their fruit I will let the hose run on them to give them a good drink: other than that and a yearly dose of fertilizer they are on their own. I do better with the large, tough plants like blackberries. I LOVE gardening, I am just not all that GOOD at it, LOL!

I have always been proud of my blackberries: they have done well for me. I tend to do best with the larger plants: I can see from far away if the plant is in trouble. I think my strawberries keep dying because they are only a few inches tall and by the time I notice they are sick they are already half-dead. As a gardener, small plants are my weakest area.

Ask a Question