What are you reading?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I like to shop in the Indigo bargain bin a few times a year. Five books arrived last week, all history of course. So I am reading them all, a bit from one every night.

The Great Leader And The Fighter Pilot by Blain Harden
This is the story of the first Kim Tyrant and the North Korean pilot that stole a Russian Mig and flew it to South Korea and freedom.

The Princes At War by Deborah Cadbury
This book is about the family rift between George Vl, the Duke of Gloucester, the Duke of Kent, and their brother the former king the Duke of Windsor, during WWll.

And Then All Hell Broke Loose by Richard Engel
Richards experiences covering recent events from Egypt , Israel, Iraq and Lebanon.

Lincoln's Citadel by Kenneth Winkle
This covers the politics of Washington DC from just before and during the American Civil War.

Hell And Good Company by Richard Rhodes
This book is about the Spanish Civil War

So far I find them all a good read, usually I end up buying a couple of duds that can't keep me interested.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Right now I'm reading Ron Chernow's Grant. It's a beautifully researched book, if even a bit slow going. I think it would be more interesting for someone who was not a Civil War buff. Having read so much about Grant, one gets the feeling of "oh, I know that, let's get on with it!"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I'll keep my eyes open for that book marlingardener, I'm slowly working my way through your presidents. So far I've read books on Jefferson, Madison, Bush Sr and Jr, Reagan and Kennedy. I don't think it will be easy to find a book about your president Chester Arthur, who happened to be my great grandfather's cousin. He wasn't elected president, he took over when Garfield was assassinated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Wow. Impressive reading!

I have been reading technical manuals on soil sterilization chemistry since the ozone depleting methyl bromide has been discarded. Mainly I have focused on works related to basamid. Authors get hungry too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I am going to be the odd ball here. I read mainly for escapism. Most of my reading is science fiction. Like Lori I prefer the older classic books. I have Earth Abides and I Robot on my list for this winter. Right now I am about halfway through "Guide to North Carolina Vegetable Gardening" by Walter Reeves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hi CanadianLori,

I've heard of Wells all my life but have never read a book written by him. So last night I googled him and I must say he's got a lot of catchy titles and cool book jackets. I'll have to read one when the opportunity comes my way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Is War and Peace considered an older classic? I use to read that book once a year but stopped doing that about two years ago, I tossed the book out. I realized I would never get all those people and family connections worked out in my head and that book was taking up time better spent on something else.
When I was a teenager I use to go to bed with Winston Churchill. His History of the English Speaking Peoples and The Second World War volumes to be exact.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
@johnny canoe I use a kindle e reader and there are lots of books that are free. I got the entire Jules Verne collection for free. Think I only paid $2 for the H.G.Wells.

I think one thing that fascinated me was the forward thinking of those long dead. Photo voltaic power as an example.

And since greenhouse growers are experimenters and always looking for better and more economical ways to run our areas, we fit right in with these forward thinkers :)

That said, I also like mysteries. Not thrillers. Mysteries. I am enjoying a set of mysteries set in New Orleans and much enjoying this light reading in between the other books.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The half life is short. Digging it into the soil and the slowdown effect is relevant, near as I can tell 2 tillings 1 week apart AFTER 2 weeks have gone by from the incorporation date should produce a plantable earth but the missing key that I have not been able to read about for that thesis is a median temperature. There are outgassing tests where one germinates seeds in a jar, but the time frames discussed are in 1 week periods.

At this point, 8 weeks from application should be nominal from what I have read though a press of 6 weeks is still lower risk.

Last edited:

Ask a Question