What are you planting this year?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've spent the winter going through seed catalogs and dreaming of spring. We decided to try a couple of different veggies in the greenhouse this year and I wondered if anyone had any experience with them? We got a Lebanese squash, a Turkish eggplant, and a Russian melon. I'm going to try Blueberries from seed, too. In all, we're planting 8 winter squashes, 3 summer squashes, 6 melons, 3 beets, 3 eggplants, a Pak Choy, a Kale, 6 herbs, 2 beans,6 peppers, 2 peas, lettuce,carrots, okra, and white radishes. I'm also starting asparagus and rhubarb from seed in the greenhouse for a couple years from now. As always, strawberries will be on the lattice wall outside the greenhouse. I hope everything goes as planned, we had such a good year last year, it almost seems impossible to repeat it!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
You are going to love the Lebanese squash--it has a very small seed cavity, tastes slightly meaty, and is pretty to boot! We have planted it for the past three years, and it is our absolute favorite.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Tomatoes for sure, I plant lots, different varieties each year. Tomatillos. Patty pan squash. Cucumbers. Greens (chard, kale, collards.) Carrots.
I may give hot peppers a try again - love Scotch bonnets! But unless we have a really warm non-cloudy summer, they probably won't get hot enough. Our season and climate tends not to be optimal for peppers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I also bought some Abe Lincoln tomatoes, a packet of assorted heirloom tomatoes, and a packet of Mortgage Lifter tomatoes, tomatillos, broccoli, and (glutton for punishment that I am) another Brussels Sprout ( I don't have much luck with them for some reason).

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Tomatoes (Roma & Sugarberry), carrots (Little Finger), pumpkins (Early Sweet Sugar Pie & Jack-O'-Lantern), & peas (Sugar Snap). I'm also trying lettuce (Paris White) for the first time. I know almost nothing about it, and just like everything I've grown in the past, I'll try it out and if it's easy enough, I'll grow it again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
As of now, we have turnips, three kinds of leaf lettuces, broccoli, sugar and shelling peas, three types of onions, and two kinds of carrots in our garden beds. There are cherry tomato seedlings and pepper seedlings inside under lights, waiting to be put outside to harden off and then be planted when the time is right. Later this week we'll chit our potatoes and plant over the weekend (we hope!).
There are herbs started that will be intermingled with the vegetables, and a few will go into containers.
Like JB, we like to try a few new things each year, and if they work out, they become standards in our gardens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Russian Federation
I am going to plant tomatoes (60 sorts !!!). I can't say STOP! when I buy tomatoes :ROFLMAO:. I'll plant sorts from Russia, Ukraine, Canada, Poland, America and Argentina. Black, red, yellow, purple and even striped. I bought yellow with red stripe, and then, of course, red with yellow stripe for symmetry.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Tomatoes, spaghetti squash, yellow bell peppers, and sugar snap peas are definitely on the list. (y)

I have learned that my fish like to eat cucumber o_O so I think I'll try to grow them. (We normally don't eat too many; it's always seemed simpler to just buy them as needed.)

Last year I waited too long to plant the turnips, it got too hot too quick. This year I'm going to try them.

I'm going to grow parsley for the butterflies. :love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I am going to plant tomatoes (60 sorts !!!). I can't say STOP! when I buy tomatoes :ROFLMAO:. I'll plant sorts from Russia, Ukraine, Canada, Poland, America and Argentina. Black, red, yellow, purple and even striped. I bought yellow with red stripe, and then, of course, red with yellow stripe for symmetry.

@Elena , I can't resist all the different colored tomatoes either! I grow Mr Stripey every year, it's an excellent, low-acid slicing tomato. Also cherry tomatoes in every available color. The neighbor kids know they are welcome to help themselves to those. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Russian Federation
Yes, my granddaughter and the neighbors kids love my cherry "Honey drops" and "Golden rain"

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Sounds like you have a bit of a thing for tomatoes Elena. That very old ditty comes to mind
"Tomatoes in the morning,
Tomatoes in the evening,
Tomatoes at supper time,
Be my little tomato.... and love me all tne time":love::ROFLMAO:
I actually love tomatoes too but only plant grow about 3 types. Strippy sounds good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Russian Federation
Our winter is long. We are going to eat all tomatoes. Dry tomatoes, marinated tomatoes, frozen, and canned tomatoes and sweet peppers, carrots and onions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Tomatoes. As well as salads and basil, I'll put in a container inside the greenhouse. I planted a lot of different tomatoes and was looking for such a long time the tomatoes, which I would like. But I have not found ideal. Once I bought a cherry for food in the supermarket, I realized that they have a terrific taste for me! I took the seed and planted.
This indeterminate tomato cultivar. I got a lot of very good tomatoes. I grow them 4 years in a greenhouse
Still I'll put pepper (different varieties), squash, eggplant, cabbage, pumpkin, melon, watermelon, cucumbers, potatoes, maize, sunflower, peas, carrots, beets ...:rolleyes:

Ask a Question