What are you planning on growing this spring?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey Everyone! I was just wondering what all of you have lined up to begin growing this spring? I live in Canada therefore growing season is short for me so I am going to start in the spring with a new apple tree and I was thinking of maybe trying to grow a mini cherry tree.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm thinking strawberries, an apple tree, an grapes. Mostly I'll grow veggies. I'm so lucky to live in central KY, where we have a long growing season and very few things that don't grow well in this climate.

Reaction score
Flowers. This year I am going to put much of my vegetable gardens in flowers. Since DD moved away and DS decided to quit growing we just do not seem to eat as many vegetables as we used to! Last year I was giving them away.

Rather than wasting all that rich garden soil I am going to plant it to flowers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
In terms of fruit, my year starts next month with forced rhubarb (it's actually a veg, but we use it as fruit).
  • Mid-march to July sees the ordinary rhubarb.
  • 2nd half of May to 1st half July we get strawberries.
  • 1st half July it's blackcurrants.
  • 2nd half July we get cherries.
  • 2nd half July/1st half August we hopefully see the plums.
  • Start August to end November, the autumn raspberries.
  • Sept/Oct we have apples, 4 varieties (so far)
  • Sometimes we get a 2nd flush of strawbs and rhubarb end Aug/beg Sept.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
This year I'm mostly focusing on vegetables, peppers actually. As for fruit, we have a blueberry bush that gives us lots of fruit each year. I also have a lemon tree but I don't expect to get any fruit until at least next year. I'm going to try strawberries again, and hopefully the dog won't eat them all! We also have a pear tree that I might try to get some pears from this year. The bees freak me out and the branches are so high up that I'm not sure if I'll get many. Oh and the apple tree! I almost forgot about the apple tree out back. I think that's about it for fruit this year. I want to get a little blackberry bush too, but I'm not sure if I'll be getting it this year or next.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm continuing my herbs as that's my go-to option for such a small growing space. I'd like to get into vegetables but I'm a complete novice when it comes to that. So I'll be interested in what you guys will be growing and maybe I can pick up some ideas as well!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do plan to get a new rose bush this year maybe more than one. Also, I plan to get my vegetables in this spring, I did not make it last year, tomatoes and green beans for sure. And a flower section, wild flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I haven't decided yet. My schedule is about to change and I am not sure how much time I will have to devote to the garden this spring so I am wary of taking on too many new plants, especially until I rectify the greenhouse situation. Winter hasn't been too rough, but spring and summer storms could wreak havoc as well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I'm continuing my herbs as that's my go-to option for such a small growing space. I'd like to get into vegetables but I'm a complete novice when it comes to that. So I'll be interested in what you guys will be growing and maybe I can pick up some ideas as well!
Because this is the Fruits forum, I've only listed those.
My intention is to grow an extensive range of veg and some herbs too.
How much help my limited knowledge will be for your climate is debatable.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lots of veggies. More potatoes of varying kinds. More beets and radish for those pot roasts with venison meat I so crave. The list goes on.

I think I'll also try my hand in some indoor ferns and smaller flowers, as I seem to kill every flower I try to keep alive. And then there's nothing left. Why I like veggies, even if you fail you can eat it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just want to dive in and try to grow something my kids would love to eat. They are very excited to help me start the garden this year. I want them to be involved in the decision process. I know they want to grow a lot of fruit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I'm just going to wing it. Being that this is the first time (in years) that I've tried growing stuff this far north. Whatever I grow there will be alot of it. Veggies and probably a few flowers. It'll be good :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I want to start growing berries indoors. They're delicious and very healthy:) Not to mention that they look really pretty. My apartment needs them;)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I want to start growing berries indoors. They're delicious and very healthy:) Not to mention that they look really pretty. My apartment needs them;)

This is what I'm going to do. They take up little to no space in an apartment for a small set of berries, and they can make almost any meal taste better - as jam, as an ingredient in french toast/waffles/pancakes, and as a drink (mixed with my fresh squeezed oranges - not grown but bought and 'picked over' - I get good ones!) and in a smoothie.

Little and less options we have to do when our space is limited by an apartment, eh?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is what I'm going to do. They take up little to no space in an apartment for a small set of berries, and they can make almost any meal taste better - as jam, as an ingredient in french toast/waffles/pancakes, and as a drink (mixed with my fresh squeezed oranges - not grown but bought and 'picked over' - I get good ones!) and in a smoothie.

Little and less options we have to do when our space is limited by an apartment, eh?
Yes, exactly:( We need to be more creative than people who have whole gardens just for themselves;) Fortunately, there are plenty of possibilities. I want to grow peppers, herbs, sprouts and berries. And many different ornamental plants:)

Ask a Question