What are those little red berries that grow on bushes?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My mom always called them "bird-berries". I have never seen a bird eat them, so I am not sure if that is her take, or an unofficial name. She said that they are poisonous, and we weren't even supposed to handle them. I don't know if this is accurate, but I have always left them alone. What do you think?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Having no idea where you are, or how big the bush is, I'll take a guess anyway--chili pequins? They are tiny red pepper borne on a bush. They are very, very hot, but birds don't seem to mind that (they are even a favorite food of White-wing Doves.)
However, follow your mother's advice until the berries are identified. A boy should be able to trust his mother.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Are you talking about yew tree berries? When I was a kid, we had a really big yew tree in our garden. My mother warned me not to eat its fruits. They're highly poisonous. As far as I know, birds don't eat them either.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am uploading a picture. I am in Iowa. They are similar to chili pequins, but they grow on bigger bushes/trees. As for birds not minding the heat, that is because birds cannot detect capsicum (the heat factor in chilies). That is why they recommend adding dried chilies to your bird feeder, because it will keep away the squirrels that can taste the heat!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 370

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have also wondered what the name is for these berries. I see them every where.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am uploading a picture. I am in Iowa. They are similar to chili pequins, but they grow on bigger bushes/trees. As for birds not minding the heat, that is because birds cannot detect capsicum (the heat factor in chilies). That is why they recommend adding dried chilies to your bird feeder, because it will keep away the squirrels that can taste the heat!
Looks like a yaupon hollie to me

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ok. They could either be a type of honeysuckle or a type of holly. They reason the birds don't eat them is because they are poisonous. My grandma says if the birds don't eat the berries, you shouldn't eat the berries either. We had a big bush with red berries outside my bedroom window and it was honeysuckle. The birds did not eat the berries and that's how I knew not to eat them, but the birds did eat the black berries along the woods so I ate those all day long. However, I've never seen a chili pequin and I live in Ohio. Spicy berries is a new concept to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
I have lots of honeysuckle bushes in my backyard and after the blooms die off then the berries appear. They look so pretty amongst the green leaves. I used to hope that they would stay around for a snowfall so that I could take a picture but.... They do make a mess on my patio though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
It looks like a type of holly to me! I saw something just like that when I was down in Florida. Quails seem to like the berries. :D I was told they would give humans an upset stomach if consumed though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looks like a yaupon hollie to me
Yaupon hollies are also know scientifically as Llex Vomitoria. Eating the berries won't kill you but may make you wish you were dead as they live up to their name of vomitoria

Ask a Question