What are these tiny bumpy spots on basil's leaves?

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Hey guys,

I'm new here and new to plants growing. I recently noticed that my basil has lots of tiny proeminent dots. I think it's a disease or something but not sure what is it. Maybe you can help identifying and explain why did it happen and how to stop it.
Do you think it's safe to eat the affected leaves?

I'm not sure if it's the same, but something similar is on my pepper plants.
Help :)

Thank You,
Catalin

Attachments

• basil.jpg
    basil.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 143
  • peppers.jpg
    peppers.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 133
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey guys,

I'm new here and new to plants growing. I recently noticed that my basil has lots of tiny proeminent dots. I think it's a disease or something but not sure what is it. Maybe you can help identifying and explain why did it happen and how to stop it.
Do you think it's safe to eat the affected leaves?

I'm not sure if it's the same, but something similar is on my pepper plants.
Help :)

Thank You,
Catalin
I can't be positive but it looks like you are infested with mites. There are many types and colors of mites but treatment is the same. Spray with Neem Oil as per directions. Mites will infest every plant you have if you let them so spray everything, both sides of the leaves.

Reaction score
Country
Romania
I can't be positive but it looks like you are infested with mites. There are many types and colors of mites but treatment is the same. Spray with Neem Oil as per directions. Mites will infest every plant you have if you let them so spray everything, both sides of the leaves.
Hi Chuck,

Thank you for your answer! I will definitely try the Neem Oil. Do you think it is safe to use the infected basil leaves in food and salads?

Thank You,
Catalin

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi Chuck,

Thank you for your answer! I will definitely try the Neem Oil. Do you think it is safe to use the infected basil leaves in food and salads?

Thank You,
Catalin
It would be safe enough but not very appetizing IMO. Just spray them and then harvest the next day. Rinse off the produce and enjoy.

Reaction score
Country
Romania
It would be safe enough but not very appetizing IMO. Just spray them and then harvest the next day. Rinse off the produce and enjoy.
How can I tell if it worked or not? I mean except from seeing that it stops spreading?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How can I tell if it worked or not? I mean except from seeing that it stops spreading?
The neem will kill the bugs. They probably will not fall off of the leaves, thus the rinsing. You could remove a leaf and shake it over a sheet of paper, then get a magnifying glass and see if they are still alive.

Ask a Question