White, crystal like, water rich, appeared the next day I watered these plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
View attachment 59407
White, crystal like, water rich, appeared the next day I watered these plants
This may or may not be what is affecting your plant. There is a phenomenon in the plant world called Guttation and it is caused by improper watering. This situation happens at night when all transpiration of water through the leaves has stopped because the stomata in the leaves have closed and excess water is forced upward by the roots and emerges on the leaves, usually on the leaf margins and leaf tips but not always. On some plants is appears in the center or the entire leaf. What is forced out of the plant looks like dew drops or water drops and when this liquid evaporates it leaves behing a white crystal which is usually made up of either calcium or potassium.

I know of only two other things which are similar to your problem. One is overhead watering/fertilization where the water droplets dry and leave behind a mineral salt crystal like formation and the other is when watering in the heat of the day causes excess water to exude from the stomata and dry forming crystals. Yours happened at night so I have to presume it is guttation. In any case the crystals are not the problem, your watering habits are.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Oman
This may or may not be what is affecting your plant. There is a phenomenon in the plant world called Guttation and it is caused by improper watering. This situation happens at night when all transpiration of water through the leaves has stopped because the stomata in the leaves have closed and excess water is forced upward by the roots and emerges on the leaves, usually on the leaf margins and leaf tips but not always. On some plants is appears in the center or the entire leaf. What is forced out of the plant looks like dew drops or water drops and when this liquid evaporates it leaves behing a white crystal which is usually made up of either calcium or potassium.

I know of only two other things which are similar to your problem. One is overhead watering/fertilization where the water droplets dry and leave behind a mineral salt crystal like formation and the other is when watering in the heat of the day causes excess water to exude from the stomata and dry forming crystals. Yours happened at night so I have to presume it is guttation. In any case the crystals are not the problem, your watering habits are.
Thanks, I speculate the same. I'm just a noob in this field because my boss has just assigned me to be in charge of his greenhouse in Oman, the monitor in our greenhouse shows air temp ranges from 28-32, and humidity is between 80-70-86 morning-noon-afternoon, sunlights are pretty intense but we have shading opens from 10am to 4pm, How frequent should I water those plants?

Reaction score
Country
Oman

I know of only two other things which are similar to your problem. One is overhead watering/fertilization where the water droplets dry and leave behind a mineral salt crystal like formation and the other is when watering in the heat of the day causes excess water to exude from the stomata and dry forming crystals. Yours happened at night so I have to presume it is guttation. In any case the crystals are not the problem, your watering habits
Also those look like crystals actually feel like cysts grew out of the leaves' tissue, again thank you for your time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, I speculate the same. I'm just a noob in this field because my boss has just assigned me to be in charge of his greenhouse in Oman, the monitor in our greenhouse shows air temp ranges from 28-32, and humidity is between 80-70-86 morning-noon-afternoon, sunlights are pretty intense but we have shading opens from 10am to 4pm, How frequent should I water those plants?
Watering frequency is mainly determined by the size of the container. A small container requires more frequent watering than a large container. You should also water from the bottom up, not top down. This greatly reduces the likelihood of a fungal disease. Water when the plant needs watering, not on some time schedule. I don't know what type and varieties of plants you have but most plants only need for their soil to be slightly damp around where the roots are located. When you water, water from the bottom up until water stands on the surface. Then move the container and let all of the excess water drain away. Check the drainage hole with your finger to help determine if the plant needs watering. Also, check the top of the soil with your finger down to about 2 inches deep to see if it is still damp. Determining when a plant needs watering also can be determined in the MORNING hours by observing the plants leaves. If they are a little wilted it is probably time to water again. By doing these three things you should avoid over watering. Mostly plants don't mind being a little thirsty but if they continue to be overwatered or stay wet it will kill them. There is a big difference between damp and wet.

Reaction score
Country
Oman
Watering frequency is mainly determined by the size of the container. A small container requires more frequent watering than a large container. You should also water from the bottom up, not top down. This greatly reduces the likelihood of a fungal disease. Water when the plant needs watering, not on some time schedule. I don't know what type and varieties of plants you have but most plants only need for their soil to be slightly damp around where the roots are located. When you water, water from the bottom up until water stands on the surface. Then move the container and let all of the excess water drain away. Check the drainage hole with your finger to help determine if the plant needs watering. Also, check the top of the soil with your finger down to about 2 inches deep to see if it is still damp. Determining when a plant needs watering also can be determined in the MORNING hours by observing the plants leaves. If they are a little wilted it is probably time to water again. By doing these three things you should avoid over watering. Mostly plants don't mind being a little thirsty but if they continue to be overwatered or stay wet it will kill them. There is a big difference between damp and wet.
I stopped watering those plants but the phenomenon is still happening, there are some leaves become like that everyday

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Their condition gets a lot better, thank you, May I ask if you can give me a better contact method, like WhatsApp, I still have a lot to learn in this field.
You can reach me directly by using the private conversation feature on this forum. Just click on the envelope next to your name on the green line.

Ask a Question