What are the best plants to grow with kids

Reaction score
What plants are quick to grow and cool to grow with your children. I think this would be a fun activity to watch over time with my little one. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums :). Where abouts in the world are you, as that may make a difference to the suggestions - if you can add it to your profile that would be a big help (just click the username menu in the top right corner, then "personal details" > "location").

My first thought would be something like a sunflower - that would be good fun for kids to grow and they're easy, cheap and a little different.

Reaction score
Are you looking for indoor or outdoor? Or something that can be taken outside in the warmer months and inside during the cooler months?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
My mother and brother both have had fun with growing pumpkins with their wee ones. They are relatively easy to care for and once harvested can be made into delicious pumpkin pie. When our little one is big enough, I plan to grow some with her. :)

Reaction score
You can grow some beans in a small container. They just need sunlight and water. It might be good to grow something they like to eat so they can really learn where the food comes from. It might help to keep their interest longer.

Reaction score
I think radishes are a great idea. Not only are they simple to grow, germinating usually within about a week and a growing season of around a month. Also, they can grow in cooler climates as well as hot climates so there is little chance you will not yield good results.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I would say grass:D . You could make a toy like this for your little one:

IMG_2985.jpg

All you need is an old pantyhose, some soil and grass seeds. I remember I had something like this when I was a child, I watered it every day - it was so much fun:D

Grass%20heads.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Tomatoes would be fun, as they are easy, display a lot of growth in a relatively short time, and continue to provide delicious treats.

Reaction score
Grass%20heads.JPG

That's pretty cool. That looks like something you could package and sell as a kit. It's better than a Mr. Potato head or a Chia Pet.

Reaction score
I like the homemade Chia pet idea! I think that you could really plant just about anything with kids. Ask them to help you pick out seeds and bulbs. I remember my mom doing that when I was growing up, and I always favored the plants that I picked out for some reason.

Reaction score
My girls have helped me with string beans, peppers and tomato plants. They have also planted flower seeds like sunflowers. This year we did snap peas, we started them from seeds and my youngest planted all the seeds. They are starting to come up and she can't wait until they grow enough to eat them.

I find that when kids help you grow a veggie plant they are more likely to eat the vegetable because they planted it or helped to take care of it.

Ask a Question