What are plants you wish you could grow?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is there a plant that you really like, something you've always wanted to try growing, but for whatever reason can't? Maybe they won't survive in your area, maybe they're very rare, or maybe they're hard to grow and you can't devote the time to them. Or heck, maybe its even a fictional plant from your favorite book or movie.

For me, I've always wanted to grow tropical trees. Mangoes, bananas, kapoks, avocados, baobabs, cashews, cacaos, etc....and not just as house plants but as big, enormous trees in beautiful orchards in my backyard.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Avocados, definitely! Mangos and papaya would be great too. Yum. Unfortunately none of these would survive in Michigan.

Years ago I lived in California and had two avocado trees in my yard. I couldn't eat or give them away fast enough.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Avocados, definitely! Mangos and papaya would be great too. Yum. Unfortunately none of these would survive in Michigan.

Years ago I lived in California and had two avocado trees in my yard. I couldn't eat or give them away fast enough.
That must have been wonderful Beth B. I can't imagine having avocados in abundance like that. Did you have a few recipes up your sleeve? I have them in salads and on toast and love them, they're meant to be very good for you too and that is a bonus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That must have been wonderful Beth B. I can't imagine having avocados in abundance like that. Did you have a few recipes up your sleeve? I have them in salads and on toast and love them, they're meant to be very good for you too and that is a bonus.

My favourite way to eat them is au naturel with a sprinkle of lemon pepper. :p I carried lemon pepper in my tool bucket: slice avo in half, discard the pit, sprinkle lemon pepper and eat it straight out of the rind with a teaspoon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I would love to grow a Japanese black pine tree but they are very hard to get in America and so expensive..

Reaction score
A lemon tree. I've always wanted to grow one, but now I am moving out the Netherlands, so that won't be possible :( In my country I could grow as many as I wanted, but I never did :( Heck, the weather was so good that even the neighbor had a grape tree. Another neighbor had a fig one... and so on. A friend of mine has an orange tree :(

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I would like to grow the kiwi fruit which is a recent phenomenon in my country. The plant is touted to be very nutritious and has a ready market but I am yet to establish the specific market outlets to sell it as well as its agronomy. There is another rage in my country called the pepino melon which is being touted on a similar wavelength. I bet that the major problem is the difference in agroecological zones which mitigate against what one wishes to grow. It is a challenge to agricultural scientists to develop hybrids suited to different zones.

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
I am orchid lover. I wish I could grow orchids in my garden. I grow various plants such as ginger, garlic, turmeric, coriander; I grow crops such as rice and corn. I also have fruit trees such as lemon, mango, lychee. I also have hibiscus, rose, daisy flowers. However, I always wanted to have orchid

Ask a Question