What’s happening with the weather in the uk

Reaction score
I know we Brits always talk about the weather but we do appear to have a somewhat unpredictable climate. I don’t know about anyone else but it’s feeling pretty cold at the moment. I even took out the electric heater from the loft yesterday as it was so cold in our living room and there was no way I was going to put the central heating on in the middle of May! Am I just imagining all of this does any other Brit feel the same, I know my garden is suffering at the moment as it's too cold for me to get out there!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The weather certainly is crazy at the moment! I woke up to bright sunshine, but about an hour ago we had a hail storm and now it's sunny again. Weird! It is definitely a lot colder than usual too, I really hope we actually get a summer this year :(

Jed

Reaction score
I can say the weather in Tasmania has been unusually warm for a good part of the autumn. Normally we have mega frosts winds and low temperatures.
Though I think this weekend is coming in cold. Maybe we are all being affected by the weather in one way or another.

Reaction score
I thought the summers in the UK have been getting wetter and wetter and that is one of the reasons I moved to Bulgaria. Here the summer started three weeks ago and the garden has got so dry I've had to use the hose on it. We're due some storms in the next week, but the good weather should resume in June, I hope!

Reaction score
It has been cold here (below 60's) all this week and doesn't look like its warming back up until Thursday. I wish Mother Nature would make up her mind already....I want my spring weather back!

Reaction score
Announced in our local paper this morning that we have had the coldest April since 1986. May seems to be going the same way.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've just put the fire on, horrible here. Only 5 weeks till midsummer:eek:

Reaction score
I think the weather is getting to be crazy just about every where. In the US it has been crazy too. We had almost 80 last week and then last night we had frost. Yesterday was cold, today was comfortable (about 60) and then it is supposed to be about 80 again in 2 days.

We had the heat on last night since it was around 30 and we usually don't have the heat on in the middle of May. We get cool nights, but not often cold nights in May.

Reaction score
So today we are back to 80 degrees here today....then back down to low 70's tomorrow. This is absolutely crazy! I just want to enjoy the breeze a bit before summer hits us full force, is that so much to ask? :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
We had a few colder days here in Poland too, fortunately today it's warmer - around 20c. I hope soon I'll be able to wear a strapless dress while working in my garden, it would be lovely and much more convenient than doing it in a coat:p

Jed

Reaction score
Announced in our local paper this morning that we have had the coldest April since 1986. May seems to be going the same way.
In my state of Tasmania it has had the warmest start to April on record with the rest of the month being higher than normal and with temperatures ranging from 3 to 6 C higher than average. Going by some of the other posts the weather seems to be changing in most parts of the world.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It definitely is changing in my country - we had the longest winter ever and even now it isn't as warm as it usually is in May. It's really awful because I've always dreamed about living in a warmer climate, not in colder. People don't care about the environment and I'm pretty sure that it's the main reason of this weather change:(

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
There is some hope Claudine, looks like the Jet Stream might go more North next week, its that that's holding the arctic air over Europe.

Its a complex model, although we know that our use of fossil fuels is leading to increased temperatures globally, it also means local areas of cooling.

Bear in mind that we are still in an ice age, there have been longer and warmer interglacial periods than this current one, which has lasted 10,000 years so far.

Burning fossil fuels may have put off the return of the next period of glaciation for the time being, we had the medieval cold period that led to crop failure and mass starvation, followed by the "Little ice age" of Victorian times when the river Thames froze over.

Currently, Arctic sea ice is disappearing in the summer and is thinner in the winter, but the main problem is the freshwater ice coming off of Greenland, this is not as dense as sea water and is floating on the surface and could switch off the North Atlantic Gyre.

If that happens then we'll loose the warming effect coming up from the Gulf of Mexico and our winters will be terrible.

The other major factor is if the Sun is heading into a dormant period, we've only been studying solar output for 50 years, but all the signs are that it is being very quiet recently, both in Radio wave output and sunspot activity.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
We have had the drastic weather changes here in Alabama, also. I packed away all the winter clothes when the weather was in the mid-80s, and it looked like summer had arrived. Then, a couple of days later, I was pulling the lap robes back out of the closet because it was chilly at nite again.
However... Good news .... Last nite I saw the first firefly of the season out in the back yard flashing his little green beacon as he flew past the back door. I love watching fireflies in the summer ! Sometimes, they get inside, and you then have little green flashing lights in the bedroom at nite.

Ask a Question