What’s wrong with my monastera

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have had this plant for about a year. Initially I had it in a north facing room,
but moved it to a south room about 3 weeks ago cause I thought it needed more light
i water it about a litre every week (usually when the top 2” feel dry when I put my hand in.

the mature leaves are so droopy and the stems almost feel weak, and I can see the root at the base of the stem above the soil. Originally I thought it needed to be transplanted but once I did that I realized it’s in A pot too big for it! The plant still produces some new, green leaves, though slowly and seldomly. And the leaves that are matured are mostly green (there is one small browning leaf)
is it time for a stake? Or is there an underlying problem?

also I should mention it’s got a bit of a fungal fly infestation that I am working on, would they be the cause?
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 114
Reaction score
Country
France
Hey there,
I think you may be overwatering. Especially, since you have a lot of fungus gnats which is usually a red flag for overwatering. Try letting the soil dry out a bit more. I use bamboo barbecue skewers to see how wet the soil is all the way down. The top may feel dry but you could have water build up at the bottom of the pot. Did you notice any root issues (black or slimey) when you repotted?

Treat the gnats with neem oil. I also got rid of a fungus gnat problem with a peppermint tea soak once just make sure to let the tea cool to room temp before pouring it in or you’ll burn your roots (it seems obvious but I learned the hard way).

Bon courage!

Ask a Question