Well the Yard is Trashed!

Reaction score
We had high tornado strength winds here on Saturday. Tree limbs are down all over the yard. We are quite fortunate that no trees toppled over because several in our state did suffer from trees on their homes. The local news show at least 3 homes where trees had come through their roofs. I feel so badly for them all and I hope that they have good home owners insurance.

We really need to clean our yard up but it will have to wait until the weekend to get it done. Was anyone else on the East Coast (US) hit with all of that rain and wind?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to hear about that Shellyann, although I'm glad there was no major damage! Is there more of the same weather forecast?

Reaction score
Shellyann36 - pleased to hear you didn't suffer any major structural damage but am sorry to hear that your yard has suffered and you've now got the awful job of clearing everything up.
The weather seems to be doing some pretty weird things everywhere at the moment - we suffered a similar thing to you over Christmas when I lost numerous trees which were uprooted by mini tornadoes and hurricane like winds and sadly even watched some of them float past the window at great speed - as they were washed down the hills by the force of the water from the torrential rain, as well as many bits of smashed plant pots and battered plants - still haven't managed to get everything fully cleared up or access the full damage and now we currently have further weather warnings for the same again this week - but this time with even colder temperatures :( hopefully nothing like the temperatures that you've been experiencing in The States :eek:
Meanwhile hope you don't get more of the same and that you soon get your yard cleared up and on a positive side - as the wind in theory pruned your tree maybe it will look extra good this year :D

Reaction score
Shellyann36, I am so sorry to hear that the tornado caused a mess in your yard. I live in Upstate New York, and we were fortunate enough not to have high winds. We were lucky, I guess.
The important thing is that your house is OK and that nobody was injured. Trees, flowers and houses can all be replaced. People cannot be replaced.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
In western Washington state we had some 50+ mph winds with rain. A few houses ended up with trees on them. A lot of people were without electricity for some time.

Made me really happy we had the neighbors fir trees limbed up that hung over our property line this last summer. Now if they do fall they will land back in their yard. They are also well away from the power lines now. Has also limited the number of fir needle in the gutters and tracked into the house.

Reaction score
Yes we did, that was one miserable and messy day in Connecticut! At least it wasn't snowing! The melting snow and frozen ground made walking perilous and like the rain today, bone chilling.

Reaction score
Over here the weather has been ok, but most of december was full of yellow alerts for the Netherlands. I heard we might have a storm or it could even snow, but I doubt it... it's been really hot over there!!!! Too hot for a winter :unsure:

Sorry to hear about your yard, Shelly Ann, but glad your house didn't suffer any other kind of damage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm so sorry to hear that:( I love trees and it breaks my heart whenever I hear of things like this:( I'm glad that nothing happened to your house! Tornadoes are so scary.
In Poland, the weather has been pretty good lately, I don't have any complains;) I'd like it to be a little warmer though.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to hear about everyone's damage :(

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about the damage but happy it wasn't any worse! We had a big, beautiful willow tree that the wind blew down into power lines. It was really awful!

Reaction score
@Becky Thank you very much. I hope we don't have anymore. Its not looking as if it will be back this week.

@gata montes I am so sorry to hear that you had such horrible weather over the holidays. I am not sure which would have scared me more the flooding or the winds. I was not really worried about us because we have a basement but I was certainly worried about my parents, sisters and my older kids.

@cmckinney01 thank you so much, we were very fortunate. I hope the cold is not driving you crazy up that way. What part of up-state NY are you from? My ex-inlaws are in Buffalo, Lockport and Niagara Falls.

@Jewell several people in our area were without power as well. We were fortunate that we did not have power failure. Glad you got your neighbor to trim his trees. That could have been a major problem for you.

Reaction score
@firelilly99 I hope you did not have to be out in that weather! I don't even want to think about how cold it is up North!

@claudine this weather has been crazy. We go from one extreme to another. I think Mother Earth is trying to tell us something.
Glad you did not have any bad weather.

@zigs thanks so much. We are fortunate it could have been alot worse.

@jenjen8987 Oh I know you hated to lose that willow tree. They are so beautiful and it seems to take them forever to grow.

Reaction score
Sorry about your damage! I live in Alabama and it was really windy here. The wind through open my door, as I was walking out, and busted my biggest flower pot. I thought I had it back further, but apparently not. There are also pecan limbs down all in my yard. It seems like every week we get a few days with horrendous winds!

Reaction score
Shellyann36 - thank you and yes it was pretty grim and although we experience that sort of weather here quite regularly - it doesn't normally happen around December - your mention of a basement to go to, at first had quite an appeal - but have very quickly changed my mind - as I realized that although it would be great protection from the hurricane force winds and mini tornadoes - don't think I would like being in a basement with severe flooding and regular earth tremors going on - that I think I would find even more scary :eek:
Can imagine the worry that you experienced regarding your family - so really pleased to hear that they are okay too :)

Reaction score
Glad there was no major damage. I would look at this as an opportunity to add additions when fixing up the yard this time :) Always look at the positive in things is my motto..and though there isn't much positive about a tornado...at least no one was hurt! :)

Ask a Question