Welcome to Esther's Gardens, Parkesburg, PA, Chester County, USA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@DeborahJane sorry, did not see your question till now. I see your 10a for zone. I am zone 4, 5, 6. So not sure I can answer you correctly. But will give it a go. sounds like you want something dense so no weeds go through it, but pretty to some degree, especially 3 seasons of it. There may be a hardy geranium that can handle zone 10. you'd have to check, normally they are happier in cold climates, but there could be a more fragile variety. and they do handle shade.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Finally, after all these years, I ordered up some Himalayan blue poppy seeds. Looking forward to starting them outside, for their needed chill and hope half out of 50 seeds will germinate. they have been on my list.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@DeborahJane . Ok, if its the pic. of the plants around the tree trunk, with a blue shed to the topish right. Those are hostas . NOW. there are lots of types of hostas. some very tall as those are, some, grow out more vertical , some a spear shaped, lots of types. One winter, many years ago, I took out tons of books from a library to explore all them. From there I gathered info for "decorating " with them, color, size, shape.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Finally, after all these years, I ordered up some Himalayan blue poppy seeds. Looking forward to starting them outside, for their needed chill and hope half out of 50 seeds will germinate. they have been on my list.
I had to go look at images of them - those are beautiful! (y)

I hope more than half of them germinate! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I had to go look at images of them - those are beautiful! (y)

I hope more than half of them germinate! :)
Yep, that is why I got 50 seeds. even if I get 20 I'll be happy.

Actually planning on starting them inside in soil pots. seeds now in the fridge for their month chill. My garden room will be a good starting place for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
The other week, caught this group of shots, snow thawing on my shrubs.
IMG_1372.JPG
IMG_1362.JPG
IMG_1359.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
the above are the red dogwood shrubs, and the reason WHY one gets them, for winter interest. they are the same pictured behind the gazebo way above --what they look like in the summer.

Reaction score
Absolutely stunning pictures Esther. I love the orange dangling bell shape plant the best.:)

Ask a Question