Weird growth on Apple tree

Reaction score
I have a new multi apple tree that I just bought this year. I have noticed a growth at the bottom of the trunk. Any help?
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I may be wrong, but those look like roots. I'm not too familiar with the growth pattern of apple trees, but some types of trees do produce roots above ground level, especially when they're in a humid area.

Reaction score
I may be wrong, but those look like roots. I'm not too familiar with the growth pattern of apple trees, but some types of trees do produce roots above ground level, especially when they're in a humid area
I may be wrong, but those look like roots. I'm not too familiar with the growth pattern of apple trees, but some types of trees do produce roots above ground level, especially when they're in a humid area.

I hope so as I really don't want to lose my new tree.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree with Gina. Those are roots. Depending on the type of base tree will determine the overall size of the tree. Ok to keep the roots since they are on the base graph. Don't let any leaves grow on that part of the tree though and also watch out for suckers coming off the roots. Graphed trees tend to loose all the graphed apple varieties if you do.

What varieties are on your tree?

Reaction score
Agree with Gina. Those are roots. Depending on the type of base tree will determine the overall size of the tree. Ok to keep the roots since they are on the base graph. Don't let any leaves grow on that part of the tree though and also watch out for suckers coming off the roots. Graphed trees tend to loose all the graphed apple varieties if you do.

What varieties are on your tree?

Thanks for the reply. I have it in a pot , should I cover the roots or just leave as is? The types of apples are McIntosh,Gravenstein,Gala and Yellow Delicious.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The side the roots are on support the leaf/branch structure on that side. The hardest part of maintaining a four way graphed apple tree from my limited experience was keeping all the graphs/branches happy and pruned to about the same size so one didn't try to take over or one or more graphs didn't become weak/small and you loose it. Since the tree is young and I am guessing the graphed branches are still pretty equal in size I might be more inclined to rub the roots off. If any of the graphs look weak on the side the roots are you might want to rethink that.

Good luck with your new baby.

Reaction score
The side the roots are on support the leaf/branch structure on that side. The hardest part of maintaining a four way graphed apple tree from my limited experience was keeping all the graphs/branches happy and pruned to about the same size so one didn't try to take over or one or more graphs didn't become weak/small and you loose it. Since the tree is young and I am guessing the graphed branches are still pretty equal in size I might be more inclined to rub the roots off. If any of the graphs look weak on the side the roots are you might want to rethink that.

Good luck with your new baby.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge which was very helpful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Wow. Who knew this sort of thing could get so complicated? Whenever I read of stuff like this I am more inclined to leave the growing to the experts. There is just so much to learn! I would love to grow a small tree in a large pot that could produce gala apples, though.

Ask a Question