Weird blotchy pattern on scheffelera

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Some of the leaves on one of my scheffeleras have this strange water color looking pattern on them. It was suggested that it might be the soil ph or a deficiency in some nutrients but I checked the ph and I feed the same as the others just like I have for years so I don't think that's it. On one leaf there are two brown dots close together that look like they're imbedded in the leaf but only in one spot on one leaf. I've ck'd every inch of this plant and come up with nothing. The plant is growing much slower than the others. It has new growth but overall it seems the growth is stunted. I'm at a loss.

Attachments

• 88F52AB7-B205-4A8B-8227-439DAC2314BF.jpeg
    88F52AB7-B205-4A8B-8227-439DAC2314BF.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 270
  • 471E1A77-592B-4D48-B7A6-14A5AB62ED3A.jpeg
    471E1A77-592B-4D48-B7A6-14A5AB62ED3A.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 280
  • 067E7CCF-E361-494F-8E47-7640251D1A94.jpeg
    067E7CCF-E361-494F-8E47-7640251D1A94.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 283
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Tell me about the lighting in that area? Perhaps you have a new window treatment, changed light bulb types, enjoy some larger overhanging branches in the lightstream to that window?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My condo is on the 2nd floor of courtyard so I have bright indirect sun all morning and it's pretty bright all day but the sun doesn't really shine directly on my plants. I have a dozen or more tropicals//houseplants/scheffeleras and only this one is having this problem. I'm miffed! Thank you for any guidance you may be able to give me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have been having some mealybugs lately but It hasn't been bad because I've been relentless at removing right of way. I used Neem Oil a month or so ago and they seem to have lost interest in my plants but I still check every inch of every plant. I check 1 or 2 plants every day or 2 and by the time I'm done it's time to start over checking them. If the Neem oil wasn't controlling them I'd say having plants is starting to be no more fun. Sorry this got so long.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It's outside of my condo. I always bring all of my plants outside for the summer as soon as the weather gets nice. Even the weather hasn't changed. Nothing's changed. We've had a lot of rain but my plants aren't where the rain can get to them. I haven't changed anything. I took this scheffelera out of the pot and soil a few days ago and it's in a bucket right now with a little water and it's looking better. Could my soil have been a problem? The soil that I potted this plant from might have been a different brand than the rest although it's been 6 ot more months since repotted and the problem only started 4-6 weeks ago?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't know if this is how I'm supposed to post this but I was at a loss about the blotches on my scheffelera but I figured out what was WRONG! When I repotted it I used pure peat moss and perlite. I wasn't paying attention but I remember thinking something wasn't right. What made me realize this is that I unpotted it because I had to try something to keep from losing it and it started doing better immediately. That was a month or so ago.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Its the simple things , right?
I have to say that this site and comments and input from people like yourself were what kept me thinking and trying to figure out the problem so thank you for taking the time. Looks like my birdsnest fern might have also been a victim of peat moss for potting. There's just something not right about it. Thanks again.

Ask a Question