Weeping willow

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello:
I am looking for some assistance re: my weeping willow tree. I have six trees. Four are showing signs of disease as depicted in photos. The other 2 are quite healthy. I am on the Eastern Shore of Maryland where it has been very hot this summer, particularly the last few weeks (mid 90’s and very humid). Is there a recommended treatment for my trees, shall i just water more regularly (I am not watering at all now), or just allow things to run its course as we transition from summer to cooler Fall weather? I am concerned as the trees have dropped many of there leaves and I thought its too early for that. Thank you.

Attachments

• 81C57776-DF4E-413C-B7D1-09C4E92E9D83.jpeg
    81C57776-DF4E-413C-B7D1-09C4E92E9D83.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 7
  • EDA780B7-781D-46E0-955E-36A555F0A855.jpeg
    EDA780B7-781D-46E0-955E-36A555F0A855.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you look through the forum I think you will find a few posts similar to yours, cherry and pear trees losing their leaves; and I know the silver birch next door is shedding leaves as though it is Autumn. Heat and drought are hard on trees, and losing a few leaves is a good way to conserve water. Add to that that trees that are under stress like that are more prone to attack from whatever is about.

You don't say how big/old your trees are, willows can suck up a lot of water, a newly planted one can take ten gallons twice a week, but that is before it gets its root system established. If they have been there for a few years I would probably leave them to get on with it and wait for a change in the weather. If you are going to intervene be prepared to just leave the hose running for a bit two or three times a week and wet thoroughly right out to the edge of the canopy. A half done job may be worse than nothing in the long run, encouraging root systems to stay in a confined area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Unless they are small trees, there is probably nothing you can do to control the leafspots. Unless it happens several years in a row it won't do any permanent damage.

Ask a Question