Weeds in garden?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a questions concerning weeds growing in the during the winter months. I live in Southern California, and just mainly plant in the garden during spring, through summer months March till September.
In October the garden is bare.
Here in southern California it rains in the winter therefore in the garden all these weeds start growing.
My question is should I pulled them up, or just cut them down and shovel back in to the ground as a means of fertilizer because they are very green which tell me they are rich in nitrogen.

I welcome all suggestions Thank You

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
1) the garden should never be bare, always have something growing like a cover crop or at the least, cover with a mulch.
2) If these are invasive weeds, chop and drop before they go to seed.
3) If you are a beleiver that deep tap root weeds are dynamic accumulators, let them get as big as possible then chop and drop.

But to specifically answer your question, yes turn them in, you don't want to throw away any possible nutrients they took up from your soil.

Here's an example of beneficial weeds. I let this get over 3' before chopping up as a mulch.

Prickly Lettuce Compass Plant Lactuca serriola?

42887064252_875bbcc820_b.jpg

28477850227_06e764fa19_b.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
What if they were roto till them back into the ground?
You will expose more weed seeds, some of which will demonstrate their remarkable tenacity to exist underground for many years prior to germinating. Many plants, like moss even use spores, much like a fungi, and can even outlast seeds underground. Its fascinating, but irritating, when they respond to all your hard work by growing again. They are so persistent they have even caused people to change philosophy, such as the no till movement. Given how stubborn people are that is humorous and amazing simultaneously.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yeah, I don't till, the only disturbance to my soil is when harvesting leeks or potatoes, in-situ composting and planting.
Just layer on top like a mulch if you are concerned about it being invasive. I used to soak weeds in rainwater a few weeks then pour on top of the beds. I just chop and drop everything now.
I try to keep something growing in my soil year round, cove crops, strawberries. Most of the time it dies back by late winter and acts as a mulch.

48898226822_9274af3909_b.jpg

38812141095_a867e9c869_b.jpg

38812124785_805e5d437f_b.jpg

Ask a Question