Weeding advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a 0-5 degrees Celcius.
Country
United States
So my new garden soil prep is coming along nicely, but I'm struggling to remove all the weeds AND their roots, everywhere I look more weeds and deeper roots. I'm planning on removing the soil temporarily then removing the weeds and roots then reusing the soil and topping it off with freshly bought soil and fertilizer, however i feel like I'm missing a colander like tool for filtering all the crap out of dug up soil, does a tool like this exist???

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Weeds are a part of the gardening life. No matter what you do, you'll will never be free of them. Pulling them, cutting them, hoeing them, spraying them...whatever your method of removal...they will always return. If you can accept this, you will be one happy gardener.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We use a wooden frame (about 3'x3') with 14" hardware cloth stapled to the bottom to sift compost. This would work for your soil also.
You need to know that removing weeds and their roots is helpful, but not a complete solution. There are weed seeds in the soil, weed seeds blow in, weed seeds are brought in by birds complete with the accompanying manure, and weed seeds can lie dormant for years before the conditions are right for them to germinate.
Be careful of the soil you purchase to add to the beds. Some is mostly clay which is very difficult to work with, and some is just plain fill dirt that wouldn't grow a wart. How about adding compost instead? And hold off on the fertilizer until you get plants in and they are established. Too much fertilizer can burn plant roots, and the wrong fertilizer can encourage growth you don't want (high nitrogen=green growth, for example. Not something you necessarily want for a flowering plant).
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but judging from your posts, you need to find out what you are doing before you do it. Read up on soils, fertilizers, the plants you want to grow, and sun/water requirements. Gardening is an exercise in learning and patience.

Ask a Question