Weed or What?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, Fellow Gardeners,

As I'm no expert in plants, I could use your help. The attached is growing in the pot with my Yarrow and I'm wondering what it is. Initially, I thought that it might be Zinnas because I planted the Yarrow and Zinna seeds at the same time last spring and the Zinnas grew beautifully, but the Yarrow didn't really take off until this year. However, after reading up on the Zinnas, I realized that they are not perennials so I ruled them out.

If anyone can identify this growing specimen, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Weed or What.jpg
    Weed or What.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Weed or What1.jpg
    Weed or What1.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 48
Reaction score
Country
United States
My worst nightmare weed- Chickweed! Stellaria media. Its in most of my planters and it just breaks off if you try to pull it.

I have a hori hori knife that is good for pots and a melon scooper. You have to think outside the box sometimes. They are small and sharp and great for weeding around small plants. l'm referring to the two on the left. I have a lot of pots and they have a lot of weeds. Just stroll down the line and use this with ease.

Attachments

• fruit scoop 2.jpg
    fruit scoop 2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 33
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you so very much, Adlai and Mrsclem. Will be looking for that hori hori knife. :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Zigs just said it`s chickweed and it`s edible. Wilt it and add butter ! :sick:

Chickweed has long been used for healing and soothing purposes, such as reducing inflammation and fighting germs. It may also promote weight maintenance and act as an expectorant when you're sick.
1622532986826.png

Ask a Question