Weed and Feed over applied

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello All,
I'm embarrased to post this but I'm desperate and need to ask. So.... Had lots of dandelions sprouting on the lawn. Quite a long time ago I bought some Sta-Green weed and feed and a battery powered spreader. Time for action. My front and back lawns aren't very big. (Maybe 1200-1500 Sq Feet total). Per the directions I set spreader at 4 1/2 and walked about four feet per second while spreading. When finished I felt like I really didn't get much coverage. On closer examination, turns out the bag covers 5,000 SQ Feet! I used most of it! Anything I can do to stop the impending disaster? I've turned on the lawn sprinklers for over an hour hoping to at least get the material off of the blades of grass. Anything else I can do?
Thanks, Rich

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
What disaster exactly? What is the name of the chemicals in that product? What kind of grass? What are your temps and usda grow zone? If you tossed the bag out do you remember the color? They have many to choose from so was this the southern weed and feed for example?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ingredients are: 28% Nitrogen, 27.13% urea Nitrogen , 4% Soluble Pot Ash, 5.6%, 5.6% Slow Release Nitrogen, 1.108% 2, 4-D Ethyl Ester, Dicamba Acid, .167% Meco Prop-P Acid

Inland Southern CA growth area. Don't know what type of grass.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
If it killed the weeds you’r good
the grass will grow back
Ok needles be nice.

Those are pretty low rates, but was that a 40 pound bag with 1% 2,4-D? Or a 50?. What is the weight of the leftover? It is designed for repeat usage not one time kill. You risk N burn more than anything I hope. Remember they want you spreading it quarterly most likely. It can build up see?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would guess that your grass will suffer nitrogen toxicity and look bad for awhile but I think it will come back. And what can you do except wait and see.

Ask a Question