Wear a mask

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It is just 2nt nature to wear one working in a large medical center, others who have not might not understand the value.
The guy in the video gets around to making the point, but goes through the mixed messages currently in the news.

Illustration: woman sneezing on man

The cdc site even uses a cough pic on how it is spread, BUT only tell you to wear a mask if you are sick, to late then.
Like the guy pointed out, it is common to see Asian people wear a mask. Might be a good idea for the rest of us.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I wore a mask today for the first time since the community spread since I had a necessary grocery store run for supplies. My wife insisted I wear the mask. I have a small stash of N95 masks from mowing jobs acquired prior to the Covid-19 pandemic.

The mask helped me remember not to touch my face. The store wasn’t particularly packed, but I’d say a third of the patrons had something on their faces, but most did not look like the N95 type. Bandanas, a mask people might wear snow skiing, surgical masks, fishing buffs, it was all there.

Messages definitely are mixed about these masks. My little stash I’ve had for a year or so is useless to any medical people as it’s been long since opened and stored in a garage. Definitely not even close to sterile, but it might help me not touch my face or block a sneeze or cough, but maybe not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Todays news reports are sometimes very conflicting. The question master asks. Who is to blame? Excuse me. To blame for what?

Since the outbreak of this virus in China. Our world has been turned upside down. So much is happening. For the general public, sad to say, but at the same time understandable. Many have raided the supermarkets and mass panic bought. This has across the world bought about , yet another problem. Many poorer and sick and disabled have been unable to compete, with doing their usual shopping. I envisage that so much of this shopping and stock piling will be wasted, due to sell by dates and best before dates. Thanks to the EU. preservatives are no longer used in the food industry. An interesting point regarding stockpiling etc. If push comes to shove. Thgis practice could endanger your life. Human nature as it is. Hey my neighbour has stocks. I have nowt. So I attack my neighbough. Worth considering.

Then governments promises. This is a totaly new, never known thinmg before. We arte all fighting hard best we can. Every minute we are learning. Mankind is not responsible for this. Sadly lives on the front line medics are being lost. This is a pandemic. We are all in it together. Please try and remain calm and trust in your God.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I envisage that so much of this shopping and stock piling will be wasted, due to sell by dates and best before dates
Not with the items I have noticed being harder to come by on the shelves e.g. baked beans, tinned chopped tomatoes, tinned vegetables, toilet paper, bottled waters. With a slightly less shelf life but with a good run on their dates: flour (of any kind), dried yeast, Bisto Gravy Powder (!) . Eggs too!
Obviously there other items, but the above are the ones which struck me the most when the panic buyers first hit the supermarkets.
Interestingly, no one was buying frozen turkeys? I did! Cooked it up, portioned it up, made a big pot of stock and it all went into the freezer. I never buy turkey normally, but that one turkey has been a God send in feeding my family healthy, nutritious meals.

Thinking ahead, once the virus is on the wane, we'll then be in a global recession. Due to this virus and isolation policies, manufacturing has been put on hold and this will affect the supply chain for long after isolation policies are lifted. However, prices will leap to an extraordinary level as Global demand for basics will be higher than ever before.

I do have a well supplied larder/store cupboard and I have not taken part in the "panic buying" (other than that one turkey) I merely replenish what I am using - if I can get it! - and taking a leap of faith into 'own grown' vegetable growing.

Stay safe @Mike Allen and stay positive: a positive mindset is a powerful thing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I hear of many, even front line health care providers having to sterilize and reuse masks. A poor practice but times being what they are there are PPE shortages

I use my hair dryer to periodically try to sanitize my N95. Blow from the inside outwards, don't melt it! 130 degrees F should do. Not medical advice, just what I do. Cloth masks can and should be washed frequently.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I hear of many, even front line health care providers having to sterilize and reuse masks. A poor practice but times being what they are there are PPE shortages

I use my hair dryer to periodically try to sanitize my N95. Blow from the inside outwards, don't melt it! 130 degrees F should do. Not medical advice, just what I do. Cloth masks can and should be washed frequently.
132.5f kills 10000 virus particles every 15 minutes according to WHO testing reports. A higher temp means a shorter time of sterilization. 158f is being used for shorter period of at least 30 minutes in some other areas.

Edit: Now an few minutes ago I read that the French are finding heavy contamination needs temps near boiling. I just dont know who to listen to on heat. It sounds like liquids are the way to go.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I wonder if zapping masks in a microwave oven would have any effect on the virus?
People keep asking this. A Lot. I would think it would be a thing by now if so.

For 3x reuse I am seeing favor for vaporized H2O2, and UVC light because the alcohol only works once before filtration falls off and heat hat a similiar problem. Now how do we make our own hydrogen peroxide?

Nobody I know about has a proper review on this. Like a real scientific peer review.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Here is a link to a hydrogen peroxide system that can re-process 80,000 masks per day. The pentagon just announced a 415 million dollar contract to purchase 60 of them.

Here is another link different sources

Last edited:

Ask a Question