DJFlowerPower
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I've got a tulip query!

I was told that if I planted my bulbs deep that they would grow back blooming wonderful year on year. However, when they first grew they were bolt upright stems, you could flick it and it wouldn't fall over. Now, they're droopy, flaccid, and when they bloom they keel over!

Where am I going wrong? I can provide pics if needed.

Thanks,
Dan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum!

I had always thought that tulips don't regrow year after year, especially if they are left in the soil. I guess it depends on the variety though - I've heard some dwarf ones can rebloom. Do you know which variety you have?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
depends on the tulip. depends on the amount of sun. Some first year bloomers will be using the nutrients that came with them from where ever they came from. Then the second year will show different. I love early blooming tulips myself, they are more naturalized and do well year after year. The traditional tall stem ones are fussier. You really do need direct sun for them to stand tall. And as far as depth, there is a rule of thumb ---I think its 3 X the length of the bulb. (but you can look that up). Its really important to read all you can about any bulb to get the most success.

Ask a Question