We Call it Thistle- but which one?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
Nearly every thistle i've found researching has a pink/purple bloom. Some white have a fuzzy appearence. This one here at SandburRanch has beautiful white petals. Can you assist identifying it please?

Attachments

• Thistle Bloom- 6-10-21.JPG
    Thistle Bloom- 6-10-21.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Thistle .JPG
    Thistle .JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 50
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Nearly every thistle i've found researching has a pink/purple bloom. Some white have a fuzzy appearence. This one here at SandburRanch has beautiful white petals. Can you assist identifying it please?
It looks like a thistle and feels like a thistle but it's not a thistle. It is a Prickly Poppy (Argemony). Different genus altogether

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
It looks like a thistle and feels like a thistle but it's not a thistle. It is a Prickly Poppy (Argemony). Different genus altogether
Thanks Chuck
Makes me wonder how many times it's been called a Thistle by farmers and ranchers by mistake. Possibly millions of times and a large percent of those folks are difficult to convince otherwise. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck
Makes me wonder how many times it's been called a Thistle by farmers and ranchers by mistake. Possibly millions of times and a large percent of those folks are difficult to convince otherwise. :)
To me it is still a thistle but you know how botanists are. The only good thing about this plant is that it isn't quite as invasive as a thistle whose seeds fly with the slightest breeze far and wide. These just drop fairly locally. There must be a use for this plant but I have no idea what it could be.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
To me it is still a thistle but you know how botanists are. The only good thing about this plant is that it isn't quite as invasive as a thistle whose seeds fly with the slightest breeze far and wide. These just drop fairly locally. There must be a use for this plant but I have no idea what it could be.
I took botany 105 and I'm not personally close to a Botanist, but being we have a daughter that's a Biochemist I have a real good idea about Botanists.

She might say: Dad, I can draw the molecular structure for you? I'll say, that's OK Jana, I'll pass this time, maybe later. :)

Ask a Question