Wave goodbye to a farmer

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
According to this morning's Houston Chronicle, over 200 farms have been lost from Montgomery County, just north of Houston.
Texas still has more farms and ranches than other states, but that is because the state is so big. Our nation, as well as others, cannot continue to lose farms.
I live on a little farm, safe from development. But I'd hate to see any of the farms around here go away, and I'd have to wave goodbye to a farmer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
According to this morning's Houston Chronicle, over 200 farms have been lost from Montgomery County, just north of Houston.
Texas still has more farms and ranches than other states, but that is because the state is so big. Our nation, as well as others, cannot continue to lose farms.
I live on a little farm, safe from development. But I'd hate to see any of the farms around here go away, and I'd have to wave goodbye to a farmer.
I grew up on a farm outside of Austin. Between government regulations and increasing taxes it became impossible to make a living with it so my parents had to sell out. I am quite sure the same thing is still happening only the newspapers and the media will not tell you that the government is the reason why.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Farmers around here are grateful for the support from the Dept. of Agriculture, the help our local county extension agent gives, and the Federal crop insurance program.
Locally, and by that I mean our county and four of the surrounding counties, the local governments make it too easy to rezone for development and even promise infrastructure for suburban developments.
So, I guess you are right that the government is the reason so many farms are disappearing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have only been to the city areas of East Texas and wondered if there were any farms around there. West Texas is dry and barren for the most part so it is hard to imagine farms there. It is so sad to hear of people losing things they have worked their entire lives to achieve.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have only been to the city areas of East Texas and wondered if there were any farms around there. West Texas is dry and barren for the most part so it is hard to imagine farms there. It is so sad to hear of people losing things they have worked their entire lives to achieve.
Texas is so big that multiple types of farming goes on. Out in west Texas there are huge irrigated cotton farms, 1000's of acres each. In north Texas they not only grow cotton by the miles but also grains. In south Texas it is citrus. Actually east Texas does all three at least in parts. If you ever want a small vegetable farm east Texas is the place. There are many many of them there

Reaction score
So sorry to hear this OP, my great grandparents had a farm as well, my mom's uncle as well and still worked them until recently (he died). Those selling out don't really seem to have a better choice!

Reaction score
I really think that this is heartbreaking. I know over the last 20 years the amount of farms have decreased severely. I have noticed it even in our small town. They are here one year and then you see a land for sale sign the next. I know it does have a lot to do with our government and it's not fair. I know it is a small way to help, but I do try and purchase all of my fruits and vegetables from local growers in our area.

Danyel :)

Reaction score
If they keep pushing out all of the farmers for development, where is our food going to come from? A strip mall, factory ,or condo is not going to feed my family.

Reaction score
In my area local farmers have a lot of support from the community. People love to buy produce that comes from the area. One grocery store where I go even has the name of the farm on the price tag when our locals are in season. It always feels really good when I know I am supporting someone in our area. I really hope the buying local movement can spread into these area where farmers are struggling so they can get the support they need from the customers before it is too late for them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Supporting your local farmers is a great idea (this from a local farmer)! However, it isn't just the local produce at a farm stand or grocery that helps, it is the agricultural exemptions, crop support, and crop insurance--all provided by governments both local and federal--that help keep farming alive.
If local governments would look more closely at "developments" and the real cost of suburbs in infrastructure, police and fire protection, and roads, they might not be so anxious to add 1500 homes on 1/4 acre lots where there was once a productive farm. Planning and zoning can really help keep areas rural, or at least semi-rural.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is sad to see many farms have to close down due to one thing or another. Along highway 75 north, I have seen so many abandoned farms and barns that let go to ruin!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Same story here in India. There is a big debate on with the present government wanting farmers' land for industrialisation.

Ask a Question