Watermelons

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I have tried tried to plant watermelons in my garden but they have never matured. The seedlings reach a height of 3 inches and then dry up. What should I do? The soil in my garden is very fertile.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That sounds like an immature sudden dead :) and very odd that it has already grown up to three inches. Could it be from heat and not enough water?

My mom has grown other type of melons without much trouble or intention. They just grew from the compost pile.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree that it sounds like heat and lack of water. I have had plants dye from lack of water once they got to a certain size. I did not pay attention to how fast the soil was drying up due to the heat.

Reaction score
As I grow watermelons in an extremely hot climate and have always found them relatively easy to grow and have never experienced any problems - other than the occasional watermelon explosion when the weather gets too hot - the only reasons that I can think of as to why the seedlings are dying off - are either that they are not getting enough sun or that you planted seedlings rather than grew them from seed and especially the latter - which as watermelons don't like their roots being disturbed and therefore don't like being transplanted - they're generally more successful if sown in the place that you want them to grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have had this happen also. Seeds, (not only watermelon) sprout, look good, start looking a bit droopy and die when about 3-4 inches tall. Planted in good fertile soil, plenty of moisture and everything done right. When this happens again get a shovel and dig up the dead plant. I bet you will find a root eating grub of some sort

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
As I grow watermelons in an extremely hot climate and have always found them relatively easy to grow and have never experienced any problems - other than the occasional watermelon explosion when the weather gets too hot - the only reasons that I can think of as to why the seedlings are dying off - are either that they are not getting enough sun or that you planted seedlings rather than grew them from seed and especially the latter - which as watermelons don't like their roots being disturbed and therefore don't like being transplanted - they're generally more successful if sown in the place that you want them to grow.
Exploding watermelons! How amasing! It must get pretty hot where you live Gata montes. :eek::)

Reaction score
Exploding watermelons! How amasing! It must get pretty hot where you live Gata montes. :eek::)

I live in a mountainous region with its own micro-climate - that only has two seasons - both of which are of the two extremes with nothing in between - so yes it does get pretty hot here and although we normally experience temperatures of around 45 - 48 centigrade for at least 3 months of the year - which generally spark quite a number of watermelon explosions.

As our high summer temperatures started way earlier this year and we've been hovering around the 48 C mark and even sometimes reaching the 50 C mark since the end of May which combined with the fact that we don't go much below 30 C at night and then only for a couple hours towards dawn
Smiley - Sweating with fan.gif
I've had way, way more exploding watermelons than usual this year :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Sometimes watermelon grows in our backyard from the seed that we eat. We just let it be and maybe the soil in the backyard is fertile because the watermelon produces some fruits. Unfortunately, we forgot to tend the fruits and insects ate a portion of the fruits. The 3 watermelons did not grow big and turned yellow before it ripened.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I tried growing water melons and got some harvest. They need plenty of water and space to spread out too. Definitely do better on fertile soil. Is it something in the water perhaps?

Ask a Question