Watermelon question

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can someone tell me what’s wrong with my watermelon plant and if I can fix it? Two of the pictures show the damage, and the other picture shows the still healthy part. I’m planning on getting soil this week so I can transfer it to a much larger area.

Attachments

• 94867F4A-BFCE-4DEA-ACA1-5E9005C65EDB.jpeg
    94867F4A-BFCE-4DEA-ACA1-5E9005C65EDB.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 92
  • EC67CC37-116B-43FE-9536-D60B43D2B357.jpeg
    EC67CC37-116B-43FE-9536-D60B43D2B357.jpeg
    280.6 KB · Views: 92
  • BBE7BE14-7A01-4ADD-9F2B-949F7E067AB6.jpeg
    BBE7BE14-7A01-4ADD-9F2B-949F7E067AB6.jpeg
    305.8 KB · Views: 103
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Can someone tell me what’s wrong with my watermelon plant and if I can fix it? Two of the pictures show the damage, and the other picture shows the still healthy part. I’m planning on getting soil this week so I can transfer it to a much larger area.
Your melon plants are starving for nutrients and the container should be at least 4 times the size, probably larger. Use a fertilizer like Espoma Plant Tone and Hasta Grow

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you! I bought liquid fertilizer recently, but I’ll look into those you suggested. Once I get more soil, I’m moving the watermelon into a 2x2x2(feet) container.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you! I bought liquid fertilizer recently, but I’ll look into those you suggested. Once I get more soil, I’m moving the watermelon into a 2x2x2(feet) container.
What kind of liquid fertilizer. I hope its not Miracle Grow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
View attachment 69289
This is the fertilizer. Is it bad?
No, it isn't bad. It just isn't totally organic. Any "instant action" fertilizer can be very harmful to your plants root system. It is also expensive. A gallon of Hasta Grow Plant costs about the same but you get at least 4 times as much when used as directed. Where are you located? It is getting late in the year to grow watermelons.

Reaction score
Country
United States
No, it isn't bad. It just isn't totally organic. Any "instant action" fertilizer can be very harmful to your plants root system. It is also expensive. A gallon of Hasta Grow Plant costs about the same but you get at least 4 times as much when used as directed. Where are you located? It is getting late in the year to grow watermelons.
Thank you for the advice on the fertilizer I will definitely switch. The watermelon was kind of an impulse buy because I saw it at Home Depot so I don’t know too much about them other than some basics. I live in Georgia by the way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you for the advice on the fertilizer I will definitely switch. The watermelon was kind of an impulse buy because I saw it at Home Depot so I don’t know too much about them other than some basics. I live in Georgia by the way.
Yeah, its getting a little late in the season for watermelons but you might get some. They spread to about 12-15 feet so make sure you have room and full sun. You really want to start as early as possible in the year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, its getting a little late in the season for watermelons but you might get some. They spread to about 12-15 feet so make sure you have room and full sun. You really want to start as early as possible in the year.
The watermelon gets full sun now and I’ll make sure it has plenty of room. Thank you for all your help and advice!

Ask a Question