Watering large areas

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone have any luck watering a large area with a portable watering system?

I have a small orchard, 30 trees, 150’ x 30’ and I’m trying to find something I can put in the middle to water all of at once.

I’ve tried an oscillating and tripod rotary both advertised for 4500 sqft neither of which water anymore than a 1/4 of that.

My water pressure and volume are superb. The only thing I can think is working against me is the distance from the tap. I’m about 300’ away.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and welcome.

It's the resistance of the pipe that's reducing the pressure.

A cheap DIY solution similar to one I suggested on another thread with a similar problem, is to get a plastic water tank that holds say 30 gallons or whatever and connect it close to the supply. Connect a toilet cistern ball cock to keep the tank full. Then put a submersible pump in the tank and connect it to your 300' hose or whatever. The tank would ensure that there was always enough water going through the pump not to damage it as long as you keep an eye on it..

You cannot add a booster pump directly to the mains water supply.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Large? ok, well we have 3 acres. 8 sections of garden. mostly its mother nature. maybe in August we have to drag about hoses and attach sprinklers.

I'm a bit sick of "mother nature" at the moment as we're getting too much rain. I've hardly had to use my lawn sprinklers at all, so far this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I Need Rain. I have been buying 100 foot length hoses and sprinklers, and I think irrigation is in my future.

I would use water level and a series of tanks on the OP problem, as it both reduces the reynolds number on resistance as well as head pressure which is systemic a to z.

renumber.gif

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I Need Rain. I have been buying 100 foot length hoses and sprinklers, and I think irrigation is in my future.

I would use water level and a series of tanks on the OP problem, as it both reduces the rynolds number on resistance as well as head pressure which is systemic a to z.

?

"Do you want chips with that?"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
'm a bit sick of "mother nature" at the moment as we're getting too much rain. I've hardly had to use my lawn sprinklers at all, so far this year.
Same here, most evenings some sort of rain. blowing wind etc. its ok. i actually like it. Lawn mower in the shop now for service. so this weekend grass cutting at its best.

Ask a Question