Watering---How--When--How much

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How often do I water or how much do I water is probably asked by more new gardeners than any other question. Most think plants are like us, they need a drink everyday sometimes more than once. The answer to this question is that there is no answer. All plants are different. All climates are different and most importantly all soils are different. Clay soils hold water while sandy soils drain water like a sieve. Cloudy, cooler weather means less evaporation.

As for how to water the best is rainfall but since we haven't figured out how to make that happen yet we are stuck with imitation rain. Everything from row flooding, to holding a hose, to drip irrigation, to everything in between. Personally, for those of us who recieve very little actual rain I am convinced drip irrigation is the way to go, but what ever floats your boat is fine.

When to water is the most difficult to answer and the most important. Different types of plants require different amounts and methods of watering but for this discussion I am going to be talking about vegetables. So, when to water vegetables? There are a couple of telltales as to when veggies need a drink. The first is observing your plants eary in the morning just after the sun rises and the dew has evaporated. If they are a little droopy or wilted looking they are "probably" in need of water. To make sure use your built in moisture meter, your pointing finger. Stick your entire finger into the soil and then blow on it. If your finger doesn't feel a little cooler when you blow on it then you should water.

How much to water? Don't be afraid of using too much water. Give them a real soaking. Soak them long and slow. Remember, you cannot water a plant too much but you can kill a plant by watering too often. Only water when absolutely needed and if you are able mulch your vegetable plants too that is even better. Even in the hottest days of summer here in Texas when the low temperature of the day is 85 and the high 106 I usually only water about every 7 days so don't be in a rush to water

Reaction score
Mulch is hugely important in a garden whether its for veggies or flowers. It protects and insulates and can reduce the temps around the plants. Many gardeners use too little mulch, less than an inch. The thicker the better, I generally go with around two inches.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Even in the hottest days of summer here in Texas when the low temperature of the day is 85 and the high 106 I usually only water about every 7 days so don't be in a rush to water

Wow, I'm watering every day (just the plants that are gonna become my food, not the lawn or the trees). Sometimes I'll skip a day if it's been cloudy and it looks like it's gonna rain, but we don't have many of these kind of days around here. Of course I don't use a lot of water because I do it every day, but I'll try not to water so often if it's not necessary.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow, I'm watering every day (just the plants that are gonna become my food, not the lawn or the trees). Sometimes I'll skip a day if it's been cloudy and it looks like it's gonna rain, but we don't have many of these kind of days around here. Of course I don't use a lot of water because I do it every day, but I'll try not to water so often if it's not necessary.
When you water you want to water deep, down where the roots are. That is where the plants take up their water. Keeping the ground wet at the surface doesn't help anything 5 or 6 inches below ground. Daily watering also promotes fungus and soil born bacteria. Slack off on the water. Tomatoes especially have a habit of increased production when slightly stressed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I will slack off. Do you know if hot peppers get hotter if you don't water them much?
I have heard that but can't say for sure. The hot peppers I grow are HOT, so it would be impossible to tell if they are a little hotter or not. I do know that you can cross pollinate peppers by planting too close. I have done it on purpose with sweet peppers next to medium hot peppers to give the sweet just a little tang.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
When you cross-pollinate, does the pepper grow with both plants' traits right then, or do you have to wait until you get the seed from that pepper and then grow a new plant with both traits?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When you cross-pollinate, does the pepper grow with both plants' traits right then, or do you have to wait until you get the seed from that pepper and then grow a new plant with both traits?
I will do it right then. I have not tried to see if the crossed seed will come true with peppers. With okra if you plant 2 kinds of okra in close proximity you will contaminate both strains and those seeds will show the contamination in the next generation. I would imagine peppers are the same but then I am not a genetisist

Reaction score
Although I very much agree with much of what Chuck has already said - I would just like to add an extra but very important point regarding when is the best time to water.

Especially as recent research into watering has found that the best time to water all plants - is in the early morning before the sun comes up - as this its better for the plant - and particularly those susceptible to disease - as its been found that plants watered in the evening stay far too moist - which makes them more much susceptible to fungal and bacterial infections and particularly powdery mildew.

However If you have no alternative and have to water your plants in the evening its best to try if you can - to water before the sun goes down.

A little tip for if you have an outdoor space - where you have plants in or around an area that you use in the evening - it is very definitely a good thing to water in the early morning - as by doing that - you are less likely to have your evening ruined by loads of midges and mosquitoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm starting to think that I killed one of my roses by watering it too often. During summer, I water my roses once a day. I thought that I'm doing the right thing, but now I have doubts. I noticed some mold on the soil in my flower pots:eek::cry:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Although I very much agree with much of what Chuck has already said - I would just like to add an extra but very important point regarding when is the best time to water.

Especially as recent research into watering has found that the best time to water all plants - is in the early morning before the sun comes up - as this its better for the plant - and particularly those susceptible to disease - as its been found that plants watered in the evening stay far too moist - which makes them more much susceptible to fungal and bacterial infections and particularly powdery mildew.

However If you have no alternative and have to water your plants in the evening its best to try if you can - to water before the sun goes down.

A little tip for if you have an outdoor space - where you have plants in or around an area that you use in the evening - it is very definitely a good thing to water in the early morning - as by doing that - you are less likely to have your evening ruined by loads of midges and mosquitoes.
And if you are having guests over and there are those pesky bugs flying around spray 1 oz orange oil pgw around your lawn and bushes for a quick rid and a great aroma

Reaction score
And if you are having guests over and there are those pesky bugs flying around spray 1 oz orange oil pgw around your lawn and bushes for a quick rid and a great aroma

Having a few Catnip plants dotted around works a treat too - as not only do they fill the air with a lovely scent but they're excellent for keeping mosquitoes at bay - as unlike cats mosquitoes really hate Catnip.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Having a few Catnip plants dotted around works a treat too - as not only do they fill the air with a lovely scent but they're excellent for keeping mosquitoes at bay - as unlike cats mosquitoes really hate Catnip.
I have never heard that before. I will spread that info around here as mosquitoes in the summer here will literally drain you dry. Folks here also use garlic spray before a party. Then there are the affluent folks who have these mister systems set up on timers that spray God knows what everywhere. Happy people, happy cats, sounds like a win win to me

Reaction score
I have never heard that before. I will spread that info around here as mosquitoes in the summer here will literally drain you dry. Folks here also use garlic spray before a party. Then there are the affluent folks who have these mister systems set up on timers that spray God knows what everywhere. Happy people, happy cats, sounds like a win win to me

I'm surprised that you hadn't heard of using Catnip before - especially as its one of the best natural insect repellents around and is in fact actually far more effective than any of the commercially made products and safer too :)

Apart from dotting Catnip plants around the garden in pots and hanging baskets - you can also use it as a body wipe by crushing the leaves and rubbing it on your skin - however you need to be aware that if you own a cat - it will for sure become extra, extra friendly towards you :D another way of using it - which I have also found to be very effective - is to crush the leaves and use them like a fresh potpourri - which I place on tables and surfaces close to where we are sitting.

As your mosquito problem sounds to be much the same as it is here - I would very definitely be spreading the info around - especially as I feel more than sure that if interacting with people at a party - it would be much pleasant for everyone - if there was the aroma of Catnip in the air rather than garlic.

Ask a Question