Watering (first garden)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I’ve got Okra and herbs in same garden then strawberries and squash in individual containers. From what I read it says water continuously 4” deep then says once a week and twice a week for strawberry. Is once and twice a week considered “continuous”. Bought all young plants (all between 4 to 6 inches”). If it matters. I live in Alabama current temperatures anywhere from 60 to 80 degrees come June it will be 90+ Through August.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I live near Calera on I65. Are you south (LA)? Different heat zone down there. We do not really water outdoors this time of year. Here is a weather link to the nearby airport. You have something similar near you I bet.

It basically shows a little more than an inch of rain per week this time of year. Also the heat buildup at the end of May and the drier times when we will water. Throw a tuna can or catfood can out there or get a nice rain gauge. It saves work and money by keeping some kind of gauge.

Anyway stop worrying about watering x amount. The soil types are a player in that, like potting soil will drain faster than clay in the ground. Focus more on maintaining moisture. Use your finger. Wet is bad, Dry is bad, damp is good. You could get a gauge, and even learn how to use it. But you know all about your finger. Damp means oxygen is available which for roots is a bigger deal.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Super info DirtMechanic Wet is bad, Dry is bad, damp is good. is good sound info for anything growing indoors or outdoors.To be honest I use my finger every time, before I water anything indoors or outdoors. My index finger is hard as a rock, and callused after sticking it in over million soils the last 25 years. My finger works better than any moisture gage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I live near Calera on I65. Are you south (LA)? Different heat zone down there. We do not really water outdoors this time of year. Here is a weather link to the nearby airport. You have something similar near you I bet.

It basically shows a little more than an inch of rain per week this time of year. Also the heat buildup at the end of May and the drier times when we will water. Throw a tuna can or catfood can out there or get a nice rain gauge. It saves work and money by keeping some kind of gauge.

Anyway stop worrying about watering x amount. The soil types are a player in that, like potting soil will drain faster than clay in the ground. Focus more on maintaining moisture. Use your finger. Wet is bad, Dry is bad, damp is good. You could get a gauge, and even learn how to use it. But you know all about your finger. Damp means oxygen is available which for roots is a bigger deal.
I live in Pike Road (Montgomery). Played college ball at Montevallo right next to you. Will read that article thanks for the info.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I live in Pike Road (Montgomery). Played college ball at Montevallo right next to you. Will read that article thanks for the info.
Cool! I went there for my freshman year in 1984. Fell in love with an Art Major. She ended up marrying an ethnic hair car product salesman. I found another art major from there 25 years ago. She is in the kitchen right now fussing about how a man goes quarantine shopping at publix and is perplexed at the leg of lamb. But I need to see open flame so my bbq area will bring her answers this weekend.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States

I know I ask a lot of questions but I’m trying this finger gauge thing. Soil was slightly cool so I took it as damp but it definitely wasn’t overly damp. Is that corrext

also hope all is well up that way and not to much damage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I know I ask a lot of questions but I’m trying this finger gauge thing. Soil was slightly cool so I took it as damp but it definitely wasn’t overly damp. Is that corrext

also hope all is well up that way and not to much damage.
Thanks! We got lucky and the storms went above and below. Leaf tips down everywhere though. Mother natures compost for this coming fall. We call it a salad shooter when that happens. Life in the trees for ya.

Yeah you can tell moist. If your finger is dry so is the soil.

Ask a Question