Watering during dormancy in zone 8b?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
With established trees, bushes or asparagus plants, do I stop watering all together during the dormancy phase or water occasionally? I'm in Southeast Coastal Georgia.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We water our fruit trees and asparagus bed deeply if our winter is particularly dry. Less than 1" of water in a month and we haul out the buckets. We don't water the roses nor the shrubs and they have been doing fine for the last 10 years or so. We are also in 8b, but with hotter summers and perhaps less humidity than you.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I've not had the need to water during winter dormancy here...but I could see it possibly happening this time. My ponds are at their lowest level in history for this time of year. Never say never.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Plants of any kind need water. Not nearly as much as at other times but they still need water. I usually do not water my fruit trees during dormancy simply because there is enough moisture still in the soil but this year has been super dry and it looks as if I will soon have to water if no rain is predicted.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It should be the wet season where you are and it's a great time to grow roots. I am sure you could ease back but there is never a hard rule about the weather.

Ask a Question