Water Globes

Reaction score
I use to see those water globe commercials on several years ago as an easy way to water your inside plants and keep them happy while not losing them to dehydration because you did not water them. You put the water in the globe and stuck it into the plant and when the plant needed water the water would seep out.

I bought one a few months ago for my houseplant and I am disappointed in how it performs.

Does anyone else have one of these and does it work for you? Any suggestions on use? Am I doing something wrong with it?

I included a picture in case anyone does not realize what a water globe is.

Attachments

• water globes.jpg
    water globes.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 382
Reaction score
I received a set of these as a gift a few years ago. They are now in my cupboard collecting dust. I did not have much success with them. Rather than using the water globes, I use planters with a reservoir and a wick that provides a dit of dampness to the soil when it begins to dry out. This isn't a perfect solution either, but it seems to do a slightly better job than the watering globes.

Reaction score
So glad you posted this thread. I was about to waste my money on them! I recently lost my basil plants because I had to be away from them for just a bit and they were in need of transplanting, which I didn't get to before I left.

I hate wasting money, and will just continue as I have been but make sure I get things transplanted when they need to especially if I have to be out of the house. (rare for me)

Reaction score
I find that I am the best judge of what my plants need as far as water. Some of them like to dry out between watering, some want to be wet all of the time. Gadgets don't know all of that but I do so I do the watering!

Reaction score
I don't have the best of knowledge with plants but I do know they need watered everyday. If I know I will be gone for a few days, I will stick the pots in bowls of water. It's worked every time so far. The globes are a waste of money. I've tried them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My mother has a few water globes. Some of them look like small, smiling frogs, it's pretty funny. You put the water in their mouth, lol:p Personally, I'm not a big fan of gadgets. I like watering my plants by myself, I find it very relaxing.

Reaction score
This device sounds simple enough, but I wonder how the water glove manages to water the plant when it really needs it, isn't like it comes with a sensor or anything, hehe. So no wonder you are disappointed, Shelly Ann. I don't think those things can truly do a good job. I guess I will have on watering my own plants :p

Reaction score
@Lostvalleyguy No success with mine either. I was very hopeful. I did buy some pots with the water reservoir so that I would not have to worry about them so much. Thanks for the info.

@Meowmie Sorry you lost your basil plants. I know how heartbreaking it is to put so much work into plants and then lose them. I only wasted $1 but every little penny counts these days.

@firelily99 There is no better judge than the person caring for the plants.. I do agree. Sometimes I just get so wrapped up that I lose my train of thought and forget them.

@sweetkymom I recently purchased the pots with the water reservoir and it seems to be working out well for me.

@claudine I bet those frogies are so very cute. I have not seen any globes such as those. Here lately I find myself really neglecting my plants.

@Trellum I was very disappointed. For some reason lately my green thumb has gone south on me.

@ Leah I wonder why mine does not work? Good to see someone else from NC here!

Reaction score
I'm glad I saw this thread! I was about to buy one of those globes. I'd hate to spend money on something that doesn't work and could end up killing my plants! I'm learning so many things on this forum :)

Ask a Question