Wallflowers

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
This last lot of bad weather, the bitter cold wind has killed some of my biennial wallflowers. I've got 3 spare plants that are growing together in a big pot. Does anybody know if it will be alright to plant them in the ground at this time of year? Thank you.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
According to Gardeningdirect
They are hardy plants, surviving frosts and harsh winters with temperatures of minus ten. Here's our handy guide for ...

Here's some idea from Monty

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...d-wallflowers-And-nows-right-time-plant-.html
Thanks but it doesn't answer my question. I'll take a pic tomorrow and show you. There's a few that look dead. Most of them will recover, but if we get the bitter wind again then i don't know. They were alright the first time, they were protected by the snow.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How about your milk bottles?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks but the wallflowers are too big for the milk bottles.

Find a corner which enjoys the longest sunshine and is near concrete walls or ground. You can huddle some terracotta pots round them to prevent the cold wind or cold.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Find a corner which enjoys the longest sunshine and is near concrete walls or ground. You can huddle some terracotta pots round them to prevent the cold wind or cold.
Thanks but they're in the ground all along the path where the roses are. Can I replace them with some I've got in pots this time of year, without them dying. Or I might just plant them and see what happens. Thanks.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If they are near concrete, the soil should be warmer than anywhere else. How many hours of sunshine there please? Wallflowers are winter flowers, but check your temperature. Are they in the prevailing winds or sheltered? All these play a part!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes they're in prevailing winds on the corner so i think they're more susceptible to the winds. They wasn't covered by the snow this last time and the wind was worse. This morning a lot of them are picking up, a few aren't. Thanks for your help.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Just took these pictures have 32 like this all the others have recovered
IMG_20180323_075222.jpg

IMG_20180323_075234.jpg

IMG_20180323_075250.jpg

They were alright before the last snow and wind.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You could put a fleece over them, or just a plastic sheet at night when the temperature plunges. Just watched Letter M for pot marigold. Such a wonderful plant! At the end, she said it's a sunny day. I said to myself, "Yeah, right!" And instantly, the sun was shining!

It's a very old series, but still good!

Ask a Question