Vitis vinifera 'Cabernet Sauvignon'

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Being a casual wine drinker..This fool in the corner has harbored this madcap idea for a while....What if I could grow some grapes in my homemade Greenhouse...So I decided to give it a try....I bought a vine from my local garden centre and it seems to be liking it's new home.....I have strung wires to three levels at one side of the hothouse for eventual training...Of course I'm not planning on producing any fruit this season just acclimatizing the plant and giving the proper soil to try and get it to flourish, grow and train....so far so good....Has or Is anyone growing grapevines under glass that would like to share their experiences on this thread.

20170616_200307.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
As this vine is begining to produce more and more leaves and suckers, I am going to move it to a lower level in the Hot-House into a 90ltr plastic trough... I have wired the right side of the structure with 4mm Galvanised wire rope attached to vine eye screws by way of turnbuckles to give it some tension....The plan is for the vine to be trained (via pruning methods etc) through the wood staging and onto the wires...I dont want any fruit this year so any flowers that do appear (and I hope they do) I will remove...I want to concentrate on it producing good strong upward growth in this its first season with me.....

20170520_162606.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ok today was a big day for the vine. moving it to its final position (without killing the thing....It seems to have come through unscathed... :) Now it has a chance to reach some potential....I would be interested in a little wine making if it comes to fruition....

20170618_114916.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathandiaz

Latest Threads