Video of Fall tilling in my Garden with my Tractor

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for posting the video Rider7767. (y)

I'd love a toy like yours but unfortunately our terrain on the steep valley side would make its use highly dangerous. What always appeals to me is that in America lots of space and outbuildings are taken for granted unlike here in the UK when houses are built on tiny plots next to each other because building land is so expensive and gardens are tiny. Very few new bungalows are being built.

I'd love a huge workshop full of cast iron kit but even building houses here in Huddersfield there are lots of objections from hypocrites those who already live in a house that was originally built on open land but they object to others building; had these people lived up a tree or in a cave then I could understand their objection.

How deep do you till to? In less than half a minute you tilled more ground than it's taken me weeks to till by hand but then I had a big hedge and lots of stumps to dig up which again would have been so easy to do using a tractor like yours. (y)

Is your tractor petrol (sorry gas) or diesel? Here we have two types of diesel; standard at a very high rate of tax or agricultural Red diesel at reduced rate of tax but this red diesel must not be used on the highways. It's interesting comparing countries.

Kind regards, Colin.

Rider7767

Tony's Tractor Adventure
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi,

Thanks for posting the video Rider7767. (y)

I'd love a toy like yours but unfortunately our terrain on the steep valley side would make its use highly dangerous. What always appeals to me is that in America lots of space and outbuildings are taken for granted unlike here in the UK when houses are built on tiny plots next to each other because building land is so expensive and gardens are tiny. Very few new bungalows are being built.

I'd love a huge workshop full of cast iron kit but even building houses here in Huddersfield there are lots of objections from hypocrites those who already live in a house that was originally built on open land but they object to others building; had these people lived up a tree or in a cave then I could understand their objection.

How deep do you till to? In less than half a minute you tilled more ground than it's taken me weeks to till by hand but then I had a big hedge and lots of stumps to dig up which again would have been so easy to do using a tractor like yours. (y)

Is your tractor petrol (sorry gas) or diesel? Here we have two types of diesel; standard at a very high rate of tax or agricultural Red diesel at reduced rate of tax but this red diesel must not be used on the highways. It's interesting comparing countries.

Kind regards, Colin.
It will till about 6 inches in one pass. It will till about 8 inches it two passes. The tractor runs a little Yanmar diesel engine.We have the same fuels colors here too for the same reasons. It uses so little fuel, I just buy it at the local fuel stations. I go through about 10 gallons a month in the summer when I mow. If I were using big machines, in the field, it would be worth getting tax free farm fuel.
When I was young, we had a big garden, and I always wanted to garden after growing up. I spent 30 years in the Army, and I never had a chance, so when I retired, I went at it. I canned my first green beans this year out of my garden. It felt great.
Land Is more plentiful here, but it is changing. I moved back to a rural farming area. I looked around Nashville, TN, but land prices are ridiculous. I can get so much more living out here. Plus almost no crime.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How do you make your furrows? Middle busters or a pair of moldboards? Or, like me, a shovel?

Last edited:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Rider7767 for your comprehensive reply. 10 gallons of fuel used in your tractor will be little cost regarding the huge amount of time and energy saved; I'd love such a tractor just to play with. Nice one and I bet you love every minute spent on your tractor; I'm pleased for you. (y)

Posting your tractor details takes me back 55 years to when I was 15 and enjoyed visiting a local pig farmer who let me drive his Fordson Major; I always remember starting this on petrol then switching over to paraffin; happy carefree days and if I had the space I would buy an old tractor to restore. Years ago one of our largest employers here in Huddersfield was David Brown tractors but alas like most of our production these days it's done abroad or closed completely.

Kind regards, Colin.

Rider7767

Tony's Tractor Adventure
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
How do you make your furrows? Middle busters or a pair of moldboards? Or, like me, a shovel?
I made a little quick attach plow. It does a pretty good job; however I will modify it this winter.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Rider7767 for posting the interesting videos and very well done in designing and making the plough attachment for your delightful tractor. I'm always interested in machinery of all kinds especially anything home made. What kind of welder did you use? My welder is a Pickhill Bantam (Oxford) 180A oil cooled either single phase 240V or three phase 415V. All my digging is done by spade or shovel which is hard graft but keeps me active.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I made a little quick attach plow. It does a pretty good job; however I will modify it this winter.
Looks like a pair of little middlebusters. I think that with a little research that you could make a pair of adjustable moldboards that would allow you to do a lot more, i.e raised beds. Great job!

Rider7767

Tony's Tractor Adventure
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Looks like a pair of little middlebusters. I think that with a little research that you could make a pair of adjustable moldboards that would allow you to do a lot more, i.e raised beds. Great job!
I am building a row hiller for my quick attach now. I just got to let the weather warm up a bit. I am building several different things for my quick attach.

Ask a Question