Very stormy strong winds

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
Take care everyone I am not moving anywhere today.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's so windy here too! Branches are falling off trees left right and centre. On the upside, the last of the leaves are being blown off the trees, so when it is calmed down we can sweep up and hopefully that'll be the last of the sweeping!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We only caught the tail end of the storm here, still pretty blustery.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We've just got back from a visit to Newcastle and had to travel up on the Thurs afternoon - aside from a big lorry on its side on the A1, the drive was pretty clear and uneventful!

Unfortunately, one of the trees near our house which looks like it has been on its last legs for a while has started to lose some big branches. It's a lime tree, so I'd have thought it would be pretty hardy - so I guess it's going to have to go at some point soon before it topples over o_O.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Scary stuff.

Limes can get pretty big before they go though. Is the house in danger?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Scary stuff.

Limes can get pretty big before they go though. Is the house in danger?

I don't think so, unless it falls at an unusual angle :eek:, but the top 1/3 of the tree had no leaves at all this year and has been dropping quite a few large branches. It's near where we park our car though, so I may move it a little further away! Apparently there was quite a bit of building work done near that tree about 8 years ago and was disturbed quite a bit at the time - one of our neighbours is equally affected and asked the planning officer about it when it came round for another matter.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's quite amazing that contractors don't take into account what can happen to trees during building works. I've done courses on Ecological site management & know exactly how to protect trees on site. Sounds like these people should be held responsable. Just hope they've got insurance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thankfully it's not a big tree, some of the other Lime trees nearby are huge! There are tree protection orders on all the trees in the development so you would think the builders would have been more careful.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You would, I don't trust sub contractors so i'd fence off any mature trees. Even a pallet of Concrete blocks placed on the roots can damage them.

Ask a Question