Verticillium Wilt??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hello all,

I'm a beginner gardener and have run in to a bit of trouble with my tomato plants and was hoping someone could help me correctly identify what it is. The bottom leaves of the plants are yellowing and then turning brown along the edges. It seems to be slowly moving up the plant. Is this verticillium wilt?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The procedure for that is to remove the infected plants, right? Would I be able to replant new seedlings there again this year or is that spot pretty much done for for a few years?

Thank you so much for your help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello all,

I'm a beginner gardener and have run in to a bit of trouble with my tomato plants and was hoping someone could help me correctly identify what it is. The bottom leaves of the plants are yellowing and then turning brown along the edges. It seems to be slowly moving up the plant. Is this verticillium wilt?

View attachment 13069 View attachment 13070

The procedure for that is to remove the infected plants, right? Would I be able to replant new seedlings there again this year or is that spot pretty much done for for a few years?

No, what you have is called early blight, very common. It is caused by fungal spores in the soil. It can be wind born but ususlly is splashed up on the leaves during heavy rain or when watering from above. It normally shows after a period of
rainy weather. There really isn't a cure but we can manage it.
It is best to try to prevent it by mulching under the plant so as to keep the soil from splashing up and also by either dusting the bottom leaves with wholeground cornmeal or by spraying with cornmeal tea. With sterilized pruners remove all of the affected limbs and dispose of them and then spray with hydrogen peroxide. This won't completely stop the fungus but it will allow you time to harvest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hello all,

View attachment 13069 View attachment 13070

I agree with Chuck, but just wanted to stress the importance of disposing of the infected leaves AWAY from the garden. That fungus can live in soil and reinfect your plants next year. You'll never completely get rid of it, but by following his advice, you can certainly manage it. Good luck!

Ask a Question