Venus flytrap trouble

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I was recently gifted a Venus flytrap, and while I’ve done some reading and research on how best to care for it, I’m still a bit trepidatious. The plant itself isn’t more than 1 1/2 inches high, but is approximately 5 inches wide, while looking directly down at it. Some of the leaves have a bit of a wave to them, and almost seem to be curling in on themselves, which I am concerned about. The traps themselves are perhaps slightly less than 1 inch, and there are 7 open, with two more on the way. Most of them are not red inside like I’ve read they should be, and I have not tried to feed it. I unfortunately can’t give it any more direct sunlight than it currently gets, which is approximately 7-8 hours each day. I’ve been keeping the soil damp, and the 2 x 2 1/2 inch pot it is in has drainage.

I’m open to and eager for any advice anyone may have, as I am completely new to this type of plant. It was in a slightly poor condition when I received it, and although it has improved, I’m sure there’s more I could be doing. I also recently had to change my water supply, and now must resort to some type of bottled water; this is quite specific, but would anyone happen to know if the “Glaceau Smart Water” would be sufficient? It is a vapour distilled water, but has added electrolytes (the ingredients are vapour distilled water, calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, potassium bicarbonate, and ozone). If this would be harmful to the plant, I will absolutely find an alternative.

Apologies for the long post, but I’m a bit out of my wheelhouse on this one. Again, any advice anyone may have would be much appreciated.

All the best,
Hart

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One thing I do remember is no hard tap water. They said 'rainwater best, distilled water next best and you might get away with soft water'. I don't know if that helps, but it doesn't sound to me as though the electrolytes are a good idea.

Reaction score
Country
Romania
You should try your best to give it distilled water. The electrolytes will harm the plant's roots in the long run. It should be even cheaper than bottled water. Also, all carnivorous plants do best in high humidity, so if you either have a humidifier or if you can spray it with water daily it will really help it. Last 2 things: you should use substrate that has no fertilizer because it burns the roots;spagnum moss woth perlite works best. Second, these plants have a dormancy period between November and February so you should look into this, it's very important for it to get it's dormancy. I wish you good luck, it's a special plant but contrary to popular belief it is the hardest carnivorous plant to keep alive (it's what some professionals say).

Ask a Question