Venus Flytrap Care

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Like the real pro I am, I went ahead and re-potted my new Venus Flytrap without bothering to look up how to care for it properly first. My birthday is tomorrow and my hubby gave me the plant as a gift this past weekend. I have always loved flytraps and I want to do right by it. I have it near a window right now, getting bright, indirect lighting, and made sure its soil is damp but not soaking. Earlier today I thought the poor thing needed a bigger pot, so I very gently re-potted it. Instinctively, I realized I had to be very tender with the leaves but the poor thing was still a little bit traumatized, closing up most of its little red and green 'mouths'. I am pretty sure the leaves will re-open in a little bit but when I looked online (after the fact, naturally) the consensus is that I should have shaken off most of the dirt from the roots before re-planting. Instead, I loosened up the roots, dropping some of the dirt in the process and leaving most of it intact.

Anyway, the poor thing is in its new home and watered, fed some nice nutrients and now I'm just leaving it alone for awhile. Have I done horribly wrong or do you think the little guy will recover and flourish despite its terrible second day with 'mom'? I found out a little late that I shouldn't have handled it too much the second day after bringing it home, but it didn't look like it suffered too much during transit.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You should not remove all the soil from the roots when repotting. Depending on the size of the plant and its container, immediate repotting might not have been necessary, but it should be fine. The soil should be a mixture of sand and organic matter. I actually plant my carnivorous plants in cactus mix, though I certainly do not water them like cactus.

Venus' Flytrap (Dionaea muscipula), in the Sundew Family (Droseraceae), is native to coastal bogs in North Carolina and South Carolina.
As such it can be grown in bog conditions. Consider setting the pot in a shallow saucer of water. This is not strictly necessary but the plant will need quite frequent irrigation otherwise. Water quality is important. if your tap water is hard, consider using collected rain water or distilled to irrigate your Venus' Flytrap. Rainwater is best, but growers with soft tap water can usually use it without issue.

Venus Flytrap is best grown in full sun or very bright, indirect light.

For the most part Dionaea muscipula does not need fertilizer, as they will get nutrients from captured insects. Still they benefit from an occasional dosed of liquid fertizer at diluted strength. Be sure to change the water in the saucer immediately after fertilizing.

Ask a Question