Venus Fly-Trap Not Closing

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had a Venus fly trap for the past two months and the traps have stopped closing after the first month. I'm attaching two photos of the trap.

Here are some facts about my growing attempt:
Light: The plant originally sat in a West facing window however I'm in Illinois so I moved it under a light source two weeks ago. It now sits under a 1700 lumen florescent desk lamp as pictured. The lamp remains on 10 hours per day.
Soil: The plant grows in peat mixture supposedly designed for fly traps.
Food: I've been feeding it a bottled substitute I bought from Amazon since it stopped closing. Prior to that I would just feed it a freshly swatted fly every other week. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R147FV5
Water: The pot has holes in the bottom and it sits in a bowl of water. I fill it up to about an inch of water and then check it every day refilling it when it's just about dry in the bottom of the bowl (but the peat is never dry at the plant). The water is commercially bottled drinking water with a TDS of 10ppm. My understanding was that the water should be 50ppm or lower. https://www.flytrapcare.com/venus-fly-trap-water/
Temperatures: I keep my home heated to 65F in the fall and winter months. For the first few weeks I had the plant we were having hot weather and I do not have air conditioning. Daytime temps were in the mid 80s and night temps were in the upper 70s.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20211029_175121.jpg
    IMG_20211029_175121.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20211029_180024.jpg
    IMG_20211029_180024.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 29
Reaction score
Country
United States
Your care of the plant sounds reasonable. Remember that Venus' Fly-Trap (Dionaea muscipula) is a temperate plant that expereinces cold winters. Even as a houseplant it may still be affected by such seasonal cues. The plant may not want to feed before becoming dormant. However indoor warmth and artificial light is preventing that. If the plant is otherwise healthy, I would not be too concerned. You may want to keep it in a window where it can experience winter light and slightly cooler night temperatures.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have an unshaded, west facing, window sill where I used to keep the plant. Do you think that might be a better place for the plant than under the desk lamp?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dionaea seem to benefit from a Winter rest, though they don't necessarily need to go into full dormancy. A cold, drafty room that doesn't heat well might be better than the warmer spots indoors, but light should remain bright. If you are in USDA Zone 8 or higher you could try keeping it outside in a bright, sheltered spot. I'm in Zone 9 and I keep all my carniverous plants outside (except my Nepenthes). Your plant looks healthy so far, except for the traps not functioning, so it might be fine. It might just need to take a break from taking in nutrients. Keep an eye on it, and make adjustments if it seems to be declining.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had a Venus fly trap for the past two months and the traps have stopped closing after the first month. I'm attaching two photos of the trap.

Here are some facts about my growing attempt:
Light: The plant originally sat in a West facing window however I'm in Illinois so I moved it under a light source two weeks ago. It now sits under a 1700 lumen florescent desk lamp as pictured. The lamp remains on 10 hours per day.
Soil: The plant grows in peat mixture supposedly designed for fly traps.
Food: I've been feeding it a bottled substitute I bought from Amazon since it stopped closing. Prior to that I would just feed it a freshly swatted fly every other week. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R147FV5
Water: The pot has holes in the bottom and it sits in a bowl of water. I fill it up to about an inch of water and then check it every day refilling it when it's just about dry in the bottom of the bowl (but the peat is never dry at the plant). The water is commercially bottled drinking water with a TDS of 10ppm. My understanding was that the water should be 50ppm or lower. https://www.flytrapcare.com/venus-fly-trap-water/
Temperatures: I keep my home heated to 65F in the fall and winter months. For the first few weeks I had the plant we were having hot weather and I do not have air conditioning. Daytime temps were in the mid 80s and night temps were in the upper 70s.

Any ideas?
I know I am late
But in case you still need help in taking care of Venus fly trap here is the link. I hope it will help you.

Ask a Question