Velvet Leaf Philodendron/Philodendron Care

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I purchased two species of philodendron two years ago and they have traveled with me from a cold damp environment, to a hot dry environment. The Marble Queen has thick, wood-like stems and is very hardy. It has been living outside in shade, and I have propagated it many times with the trimmings in water.

The Velvet Leaf has been very finicky, slowly but surly dying until nothing but a few vines with one leaf each was left. At first I thought it was because I sparsely water my indoor plants (so keep fungus gnats away). But then I read that yellow leaves falling off is a sign of not enough light. I kept this plant indoors in a bright bathroom window with the trimmings of the marble queen, so I am not sure why it was doing so poorly.

Other considerations is not enough humidity, not feeding enough, and too large of a pot. I purchased another Velvet Leaf and have it in my Crested Gecko vivarium with a grow light and plenty of humidity, and it has been doing amazing. Any tips on growing the more finicky philos? Or just trial and error of pot sizes and lighting?

Ask a Question