Vegetables for all

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
New member Doris posted that she was starting a vegetable garden to feed her family, and hungry families in her area. What a kind thought!:joyful:
It got me to thinking that if more of us who have the time/space/energy to plant just a bit more than we need, and give it to someone who doesn't have a garden, or cannot garden, what a wonderful thing we could do.

We donate garden extras to the local food pantry, send small bags of washed cherry tomatoes with a lady that drives for Meals on Wheels providing a hot meal for shut-ins and the elderly who really like the occasional fresh vegetables, and give away all the extra produce we have to folks who are limited in means, space, or physical ability.

If you can, why not plant a bit extra and share with someone? Believe me, the smiles and warm handshakes more than make up for any extra effort you may expend.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Very nice to you to suggest that and this will make the world a happier and kinder place. It's not so easy for us to do this here. BigC said the salad he grew tended to be weak and limp and went off very quickly. I don't have the heat to grow that kind of fat, sturdy, robust vegs. Apart from a bit of courgettes which I didn't do too well for the last 2 years, I don't really do a lot of vegs. But hey, that's a very heart-warming thought, @marlingardener ! I will see what I can do and will choose some more rewarding vegs..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Alp, a small bouquet in a vase (thrift stores are great sources of cheap vases) given to a nursing home resident is as good as a bag of cherry tomatoes! I take a rose with a frond of artemisia in a bud vase to the local nursing home and ask the activities director to give it to someone who needs cheering up or might not receive cards or flowers.
Side story--at the hair salon I mentioned that I bought a lot of vases because I never got them back, and the next week there were two boxes of bud and other small vases clients had brought in. I took a couple of bouquets in my "new to me" vases into the nursing home, and the director said, "Oh, we've been saving your vases and kept forgetting to give them to you." I now have enough vases to last forever!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
"Oh, we've been saving your vases and kept forgetting to give them to you." I now have enough vases to last forever!
:LOL::LOL:

Such a sweet gesture. I am sure they will cheer someone up!

Ask a Question