Vegetable Garden Versus Flower Garden Project

Reaction score
If you had that available space and right location in your house which project do you prefer to have? Is it a vegetable garden where you can harvest produce or a flower garden which will add beauty and attraction in your house?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I'd mix them, flowers and veggies. French marigolds repel nematodes, zinnias attract pollinators, and there are several plants that are hosts for butterflies and live happily alongside vegetables.
It really isn't an "either or" situation. You can have both, enjoy both, and have a lovely garden!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
My husband has that so called green thumb and I am proud of him for that. However, he only plants vegetables and other plants for harvesting edibles like lemon, ginger, and herbs. Last November, I bought 3 flowering plants in soft plastic pots for planting. They were having nice flowers. After replanting the flowering plants into permanent pots, they withered one by one in a week's time. Until now I don't know what was wrong.

Reaction score
I'd mix them, flowers and veggies. French marigolds repel nematodes, zinnias attract pollinators, and there are several plants that are hosts for butterflies and live happily alongside vegetables.
It really isn't an "either or" situation. You can have both, enjoy both, and have a lovely garden!

It is nice to hear that you had a vegetable and a flower garden at the same time in your own place. As you had said doing this thing is indeed enjoyable and I am sure you had a lovely garden :)

Reaction score
My husband has that so called green thumb and I am proud of him for that. However, he only plants vegetables and other plants for harvesting edibles like lemon, ginger, and herbs. Last November, I bought 3 flowering plants in soft plastic pots for planting. They were having nice flowers. After replanting the flowering plants into permanent pots, they withered one by one in a week's time. Until now I don't know what was wrong.

You are lucky that your husband had what we called "green thumb". And it is a good thing to plant those kind of vegetables and herbs because you will not buy it any more and it is always there and available for use when you need it in your cooking or for whatever use. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
You are lucky that your husband had what we called "green thumb". And it is a good thing to plant those kind of vegetables and herbs because you will not buy it any more and it is always there and available for use when you need it in your cooking or for whatever use. ;)
We actually time our cooking with the harvest. For example when the lemon are harvestable (right now we harvested 2 lemons) then rest assured we are having steak soon. With a good harvest of ginger, we would have porridge (that's what we had last weekend). The harvest tastes much better although I admit that it is only psychological. And the cost? I don't think we save money because we just give away the extra harvest to the neighbors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Belgium
I am also for a mixture of both, I love eating fresh vegetables and herbs from the garden, but I also love beautiful flowers and plants. I am lucky that I have the space to have all of this, but if I would have to choose, the veggie patch would win :) I believe eating fresh, organic and homegrown food is more important than a pretty flower.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I'm lucky enough to have both. They are both kind of small, but there is room to expand if I ever have time. I would like to expand the little vegetable raised bed first. There is also the greenhouse :)

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Belgium
If you have little space, you can always look into vertical gardening. It is a great way to grow some herbs and veggies on a very small space :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Tough decision! I would probably lean towards the veggie garden, personally. I love flowers, don't get me wrong, but I also just adore the idea of being able to sustain myself with things I've been able to grow. I think that's such a cool thing to be able to do...and I'd like to do more of it. So veggies is my choice!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is a tough choice to just pick one! I would cheat and grow a bit of both :) I am facing this dilemma right now with very limited space to grow anything living in a condo. I figure I will use pots for the common herbs on the deck, and probable cucumber, tomato, and pepper in the tiny area that I am allowed!

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If you had that available space and right location in your house which project do you prefer to have? Is it a vegetable garden where you can harvest produce or a flower garden which will add beauty and attraction in your house?

My answer would be, a vegetable-flower garden, better known as a cottage garden. Everything grows better, the soil benefits and improves, some flowers will protect your vegetables from insects... etc, etc

:)

Ask a Question