Vegetable Garden Near an Angel Trumpet?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We have the perfect spot for a small vegetable garden off the deck, but right at the end of this particular gardening patch is an angel trumpet. Is it safe to plant a vegetable garden close to an angel trumpet? I know the angel trumpet is toxic if consumed, but I don't know if it can contaminate vegetables planted near it. Thank you!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
According to the following link, if you install a barrier between your garden and the Angel's Trumpet, you can put your concerns at ease.
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/angel-trumpets-poisonous-91826.html
How fond are you of the Trumpet? Can it be moved/transplanted? My preferred option would be to remove the Angel's Trumpet to a container or other part of the garden away from the vegetable garden. Failing that, I would just remove it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I love the angel trumpet and am willing to transplant it. I have never done that before and don't know how well an angel trumpet responds to that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I did try to remove my Angel Trumpet because it kept breaking and not looking good and I'm afraid it was very difficult, actually impossible for me to do because of the root system so I left it and it has come good again. Maybe with a couple of pairs of hands you could manage to dig it out. I was surprised at how wide the root system had extended. It is an impressive tree when in flower. I had tried to make it a standard. I had seen it is a gardening magazene and the reasoning behind the idea was that apart from looking really impressive, it kept the toxic flowers up and out of harms reach. Your post has jogged my memory of how wonderful it looked as a standard.:) I might try again. Thanks Mary Jo(y).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It's not a small angel trumpet but pretty established, so it sounds like it would be hard to move. I would prefer to leave it where it is. It's too bad the best place in the yard for a vegetable garden is right beside it!

Ask a Question