Vegetable art

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Have you ever heard about using vegetables to make art? What do you think about it? I find it really interesting but I've never tried to make anything like this. I think it might be fun:D . Some of vegetable sculptures are really amazing, just look at these:

fruit_veg_art_13.jpg

P3120043.jpg

fruit-vegetable-art-19.jpg

And here are adorable little animals:

5.jpg

And a gorgeous vase:

fruit-and-vegetable-art-design-photos.jpg

Jed

Reaction score
I have seen vegetable art I think it may even have been posted up on this forum.
Though these ones are fantastic. I just love those dogs.I must have to borrow the link. I hope you wont mind Claudine.

5.jpg

Reaction score
Reaction score
I am constantly trying to mess with my vegetables and fruits lol. I do have some pictures of my own.. but I just can't seem to find them. I have made roses from beets and turnips.. like this one here

OldRosesLeeks07-300x300.jpg
ali-carved-beet-rose.jpg

I like these center pieces
beet-rose-Phung-Nguyen.jpg

Reaction score
This really is art. I wish I could be this creative, my only veggie art attempts have been tomato skin roses and a few jack-o-lanterns. I wonder if there would be an online course somewhere to teach you veggie art techniques? This is something I would love to learn to do, maybe I should just start and take it from there.
I love that dragon!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Maddie, I absolutely love these roses - as you all already know I'm obsessed with roses:D - they look like real flowers, it's wonderful!
Jessi, this dragon is amazing, it must be really difficult to make something like this!
Yatte, here is a video of how to make a flower from a melon:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Ooooh, that first photo is gorgeous, Claudine! I have some photos someplace of carvings done by someone I know -- I'll have to look for them.

Maddie, those roses are gorgeous! I've seen radish roses before, but nothing like this.

I pinned a cute kiwi bear just hours ago! I was so adorable! The only thing like this I've ever done is the basket from a watermelon.

Reaction score
Maddie, do you have any pictures of your carvings? And Chanel, if you find yours, you should send them to me and a link to your site or Twitter, etc, etc. I love posting food art, but I adore it even more when it's someone I know. <3

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Look at this psychedelic bunny, lol:

animal_vegetable_340x255.jpg

He really made me laugh:p

This is such a lovely apple, isn't it?:

153991921692101282124929153264224216246118.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Maddie, do you have any pictures of your carvings? And Chanel, if you find yours, you should send them to me and a link to your site or Twitter, etc, etc. I love posting food art, but I adore it even more when it's someone I know. <3

Jessi the pictures I have (if I still have them) are not my own handy work. The person who did them is a chef, but also a photographer on the side. I can try asking if he has any photos of the stuff he's done; not sure if he has a website.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Just saw something gorgeous! It's not carved, but you all have to see this! I can't wait to do this sometime down the road!

6a00e54fcc29da8834016301595aba970d-500wi

This one is more of a heart shape, but the one that took me to the web site was a rose made up of golden beet chips

6a00e54fcc29da88340167624e6b49970b-500wi

Is there a section on the forum for food you make from the stuff you grow? Here's the link to the site these come from with the how-to:
http://www.playingwithfireandwater.com/foodplay/2012/02/beet-roses.html#

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
ChanellG, I love it, it looks both beautiful and delicious, it would be perfect for a romantic dinner! It looks like these candied roses that we talk about in flower syrups thread:)
This looks amazing, it's hard to believe it's made of vegetables:

fruit-and-veggie-carving-flowers.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I still like the first photo best. I missed the thread about flower syrups! Is it still active? This makes me think of the movie, "Like Water For Chocolate." Remember the dish she made, quails in rose petal sauce? I have always wanted to find out what that sauce tasted like.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Yes, of course, flower syrups thread is still active, you can find it in General Chat section. We have some lovely pictures there:D
I haven't watched "Like Water For Chocolate" but rose petal sauce sounds delicious - and so lovely:)
This is really pretty and very detailed:

24_large.jpg

Reaction score
Wow these are all so fantastic!
My mom has a fancy melon carving kit but it has never been used.
I love the beet chip roses...I might need to make some of those!
Fresh food and art makes for a great combination!

Ask a Question