Veg garden planning help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im a newbie so bare with me!!
Last year i discovered a love for growing my own and have decided to make a part of my garden a veg patch/kitchen garden. I have designed it all with a greenhouse and a water feature for wildlife but am struggling on what paths to use. I originally wanted a red brick path with raised beds but am seeing a lot of bark and shingle being used. Is there a reason for this (slugs maybe) and what pathways would you recommend. Many thanks x

Reaction score
Country
France
I am new also but can still welcome you GardenEscape, depends what kind of look/feel you want as we all have different ideas and needs. Here where I reside in Deux Serves Region of France, my garden was farmland so is rough grass but still pleasant, as we keep it under control with a tractor mower...Our veggie patch is like this, right at the moment...as you can see rustic very rustic and fenced off to keep chickens out,,,We have planks of wood we use to move about when planting up and so no path as such... a very portable system.. :)
Photo last of the Veggie Patch
thumbnail_004.jpg

Unlike above which is pretty nice.....the pond has 1 huge orange gold fish it and his name is Lonesome...:)
036.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
''Lonesome'' reminds me of when I had a small nursery. I had a fairly large glut of little pine trees that nobody seemed to want, so I put them all away apart from one and stuck a label on it with ''Lonesome Pine''
All the little trees found a home within a week :giggle:

Reaction score
Country
France
''Lonesome'' reminds me of when I had a small nursery. I had a fairly large glut of little pine trees that nobody seemed to want, so I put them all away apart from one and stuck a label on it with ''Lonesome Pine''
All the little trees found a home within a week :giggle:
That is a lovely story..well Lonesome was purchased along with two other baby goldfish
although we have a model Heron the two others were extracted....highly likely by a Heron...
005.JPG

there he is, quite a size and no idea what his gender is.. not had the courage to add
other fish to give some company... we have loads in another pond, so could....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im a newbie so bare with me!!
Last year i discovered a love for growing my own and have decided to make a part of my garden a veg patch/kitchen garden. I have designed it all with a greenhouse and a water feature for wildlife but am struggling on what paths to use. I originally wanted a red brick path with raised beds but am seeing a lot of bark and shingle being used. Is there a reason for this (slugs maybe) and what pathways would you recommend. Many thanks x
First of all @GardenEscape, a big welcome to the forum :)

In my humble opinion, the brick path I put in my own garden is the best one out there (they are all different) I have found that the ones using bark or wood chippings are great for a while, but then they disintegrate and need lots of topping up. I have others laid with weed supressing membrane and topped with shingle - and they are difficult to push a barrow over. Small shingle sticks to the mud in my wellies and makes a mess everywhere! A path in a veggie plot needs to be really practical, and good old concrete slabs are just that, but your original idea for brick is practical and classy at the same time. It`s not that hard either to find second hand bricks - there are usually some on freecycle if you look.
Please can you let us see with a photo when you`ve sorted it out ? We like photos (y)

Reaction score
Country
France

In my humble opinion, the brick path I put in my own garden is the best one out there (they are all different) I have found that the ones using bark or wood chippings are great for a while, but then they disintegrate and need lots of topping up. I have others laid with weed supressing membrane and topped with shingle - and they are difficult to push a barrow over. Small shingle sticks to the mud in my wellies and makes a mess everywhere! A path in a veggie plot needs to be really practical, and good old concrete slabs are just that, but your original idea for brick is practical and classy at the same time. It`s not that hard either to find second hand bricks - there are usually some on freecycle if you look.
Please can you let us see with a photo when you`ve sorted it out ? We like photos (y)
Good information Tetters to me Photo tells the story.....then comes more suggestions that could help....(y) ....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Thank you so much, you have some great points

Ask a Question