Using windmills to keep pests away

Reaction score
I bought a bunch of dollar store windmills last year. I know they aren't exactly equipment, but they were the best tool I used to keep the rabbits out of the garden. I'm pretty anti-chemicals, so I needed something inert and cheap.

You know what, the windmills did the trick! They made enough noise and were shiny and bright that the rabbits didn't even come near my garden. Oh and I can use them all next year. Anyone else do something like this?

Jed

Reaction score
Do you mean these type of pinwheels? What a good idea.
How did they go on still nights?

Pinwheels+for+Peace+07+070.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Interesting idea, I wonder if it works for other critters as well. Not that I have a pest problem, but up until now my growing efforts have been mostly limited to herbs and flowers. Jed, the pinwheels are cute, but these being made from paper wouldn't hold up long.

Reaction score
Several years ago I tried a metal one I bought from Harbor freight, it was supposed to keep the moles away by creating a vibration in the ground that they did not like. It did not work as advertised for me and eventually broke. Too much wind I guess. I live in an area that gets lots of wind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I think they would be most effective as noisemakers, but if they were reflective it's possible they could deter birds from stuff like berry bushes. Things like this are so passive, I can't imagine they would be very effective for very long. Eventually the animals would figure out there is no real threat.

Jed

Reaction score
Interesting idea. Jed, the pinwheels are cute, but these being made from paper wouldn't hold up long.
Firstly I think it's a brilliant idea of FlanneryCam's.

True I thought this pic would show how easy they are to make. Some recycled stiff thin plastic sheet would do the job.
Here's a plan if someone is thinking of giving them a go. You would need to consider durabilty and use more appropiate materials such as stronger sticks and small nails.
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Pinwheel

Reaction score
I bought a bunch of dollar store windmills last year. I know they aren't exactly equipment, but they were the best tool I used to keep the rabbits out of the garden. I'm pretty anti-chemicals, so I needed something inert and cheap.

You know what, the windmills did the trick! They made enough noise and were shiny and bright that the rabbits didn't even come near my garden. Oh and I can use them all next year. Anyone else do something like this?

That's a wonderful idea! I had never thought of using those windmills for that. I wonder if they work to scare away the moles too? I might be moving to a place where there are a lot moles and hedgehogs, the moles are the worst menace to the garden. I guess I will have to try.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I wonder if this could solve my deer problem? The deer ate four of my Pumpkins last year! Yes, four....Pumpkins!
I tried them a couple of years ago. They worked about 24 hours and then the deer decided my vegetables were too good to let a little noise bother them. Besides a tall fence, HVLP is the only real remedy.

Reaction score
I too have tried using these - to try and deter many types of garden pests and critters and even went to the extent of buying robust ones - made with special materials that glittered and made a sound that certain birds and critters didn't like and have to say that they were all totally useless and not worth the money - as none of them worked at deterring anything at all - especially as - most if not all of the birds and critters very quickly adapted to them being around and acted just as though they weren't there - so unless you are planning on using them as garden decorations - I really wouldn't bother with them.

Reaction score
Country
United States

Yesterday I saw a beautiful bed of tulips with windmills. That's why I sought this website. I'll try them, but if they don't work, I'm buying some fox urine (ugh!).

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums :)

Hope the windmills work, fox urine is about as hard to get as lobster wee :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I bags the fox :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We tried using coyote urine (purchased, not milked from our very own coyotes) to deter skunks from digging and setting up camp under the workshop. The coyote urine just added to the "ambiance" permeating the workshop.
We have found that the actual coyote does deter rabbits, skunks, possums, and other small wildlife.
We tried the windmills tied to the tomato trellises to deter mockingbirds from sampling every darned tomato. It worked!

Ask a Question